Should I keep it or upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I keep it or upgrade

I have an 81 GS750L that was given to me. I am in the midst of taking the carbs down and redoing them to help it run better. I am trying to figure out whether or not to keep it or part it out. I would like to have something a bit newer and I am looking at staying with a suzuki. I think this bike is a bit much for me and the type of riding I plan on doing. I only have a few miles to drive to work each day. I am also kind of discouraged to pour a lot of money into it, just to find out that I need a part I can't get anymore. If anyone has any good ideas or a Tach that they are willing to live without, let me know.

Chris in TX.

If it's low miles and you got it cheap, keep it! You can still get OEM parts for these bikes (almost all the parts), and what you can't find or aren't willing to pay wholesale for you can always find on e-bay, or here!

Keep it. Tear it apart and learn how things work. I've heard a great philosophy when you first get a bike: either go all out and replace everything that needs replaced, and do nothing half-assed - or be as cheap as possible and clean and re-use everything (within reason), only replace the parts that have to do with safety.

Let me know what you decide.

Chad
    Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

You sound like you would be happier with a newer, smaller bike.
      A used GS500 might work for you. I'm not sure if they're still in production, but I saw a 2000 model the other day. Nice commuter bike that can also go on longer trips.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

GS 500

I took a look at a GS 500 online and wouldn't be happy with that style. I would like to go with a 650 Savage, or at least something along that style. The only thing really wrong with this GS750 is the Carbs. I took all 4 of them apart the other day and am going to dip and clean them up. I am tempted to sell the carbs for a down payment on a savage( since they can't be gotten anymore) but then I have a bike with no carbs to get rid of. The bike is in awesome shape. The tank needs paint and it needs new side covers and a tach. Other than that it is good to go. One day I will wake up and make a decision.

Comment

Working...
        X