removed carbs to clean, now no power or top end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

removed carbs to clean, now no power or top end

I took off my carbs today on my 1980 GS850GL, cleaned them all out, replaced them and tested it out. It took some real coaxing to get her started. She usually fires right up, anyways, I flooded it a few times while starting it. Finally got it started and I always had alot of power of the start and especially in the mid range, now I just have a little power at the start no midrange and she tops out at about 85mph, yesterday I could bury the needle in 3rd gear, today nothing. Help, I'm leaving on a trip and she has to be ready by Saturday morning. Could I have messed something up in the carbs? The only jets I removed to clean were the main jets.

Oh by the way one more thing, I just took a look at a few things on the website, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I didn't replace the vacuum hose to the petcock, could that cause this problem? Also I'm wondering now if I just fouled the plugs. I'll check tommorrow, but please bring all help and suggestions. I also know I'm going to sound like a mechanical moron asking this but I'd rather get it right. Is the petcock the part on the gas tank that has the two valves or is it the big round part on the other side of the gas tank

Comment

Originally posted by mkrohn151
      Oh by the way one more thing, I just took a look at a few things on the website, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I didn't replace the vacuum hose to the petcock, could that cause this problem?
      Yes, it is important to have all the hoses on.

Michael

Comment

The vacuum line from the carb to the petcock opens the petcock when the motor cranks or is running. If it was not connected at all, no fuel should flow unless you had the petcock on prime. Were you also running with the carbs vacuum nipple open?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I'm not sure what the vacuum nipple is, but the lever on the petcock is broke off so I'm assuming it was broke off on prime if you're saying that no gas would've come out. So the petcock is the part that turns the gas from res prime and on?

Comment

about a week ago I removed the mufflers and welded straight pipes on. I've been told that sometimes you need to adjust the jets because it will run lean. Could this be the problem?

Comment

1. Not having that vacuum hose connected to the petcock was letting in air that shouldn't be coming in.
              2. Cutting off the mufflers totally changes the back pressure and will necessitate at least some carb adjustments (float height, needle height, etc.) and/or re-jetting (replacing jets with different sizes).

Comment

1) 1980 GSes don't have a lever on the petcock. They have that little notch you stick your key into to turn from PRIME (slot vertical) to RUN (slot horizontal).

2) IF you run with the vac hose off the carbs, your performance will suck.

You'll basically be running on 3cyls, because #2 carb won't develop enough vacuum to pull enough fuel in. You will also eventually run out of gas unless your petcock is on PRIME...

That vac hose has to go from the tank to the hose-nipple (vertical brass tube below the choke) on #2 carb (2nd from the left)...

3) Yes, if you fiddle with your pipes you usually need to re-jet... However, if you keep your stock intake this issue will be less pronounced...

Pipes + pods -> definately lean on stock jetting...

Comment

Ok, turns out, the hose was connected. All the hoses were connected in the correct places. Today I took the carbs back off and went from a size 115 jet up to a 125. It runs better but still not good. No hesitation around 5k rpms but still less power and top end. I didn't adjust the float height because I can't get the stinkin pin out for the life of me. I'm considering going up to a 135. I'm still running with the stock airbox on but like I said, I went from the stock mufflers to running straight pipes. I changed the plugs so its a little hard to tell if its running lean, but the heads do look a little pale still. Any suggestions??? I will go to hell and back trying to fix this before I go back to the stock mufflers. I've tasted heaven with these pipes and now I just can't part.

Comment

Working...
                  X