Bike cutting out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike cutting out

From time to time by bike cuts out. Its a GS400. Its doesn't appear to be ignition related, and it is not cylinder specific, because it runs worse when I unplug either spark plug. It also is always cured by filling up the tank. but its not that simple.

I was driving along today, and it started cutting out. I switched to reserve, and it ran fine for about a mile, and started cutting out again. I pulled over, and it was running fine. So I took off again, and about a mile later, the same thing started happening. So I chugged my way into a gas station, filled up, and the problem stopped. Also, I do not think its a clogged reserve, because I cleaned the heck out of it a few days ago when I painted my tank

Got any ideas?

Sounds like you haven't ruled out fuel starvation. Does it only happen after you've been putting heavy load on the engine, and never when it's been sitting or idling for 15 seconds?

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mopolopo
      Sounds like you haven't ruled out fuel starvation. Does it only happen after you've been putting heavy load on the engine, and never when it's been sitting or idling for 15 seconds?

Michael
      oh yeah, it kinda does sound like fuel starvation. (i'm tired, I forgot that part) anyways, it seems to be purely related to how much fuel is in the tank. but what I don't understand, is why reserve doesn't seen to work as well as it should

Comment

pressure

Makes sense when you think about it, a full tank as has a higher head (more pressure) not much mind you but apparently enough to make a difference. Look for a collapsed fuel line, kinks, plugged filter (if you've got one) etc.....Mike

Comment

You might want to check out the venting in gas cap. If the vents are clogged, you will be creating a vacuum in the gas tank, which in turn will hold the gas back.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Smith
            You might want to check out the venting in gas cap. If the vents are clogged, you will be creating a vacuum in the gas tank, which in turn will hold the gas back.
            ahhhh... interesting... I never thought of that. DUH!! I'll bet thats the answer. However, my gas cap doesn't have a vent, at least none that I can see. I'll bet thats it though. Whats the deal with my gas cap?

Comment

Working...
            X