Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression & Valve Clearance (shim-type) -> 80 GS-85

FIRST

Well, I tested the compression on this bike, being concerned that blow-by might be causing my oil leakage, and got

95 75 70 70 on 1-4, with a hot engine (method used was to run the bike at ~1200 rpm on 3 cyls with the gauge in the cyl to be tested).

Putting a small amount of oil in the 'low' cyls changes the compression very slightly (eg from 70 to 75), & the bike runs ok, so I assume it's not the rings...

Testing compression cold, by cranking the starter with the plugs disconnected gives me:

140 125 120 120

Usually, the opposite is true (due to expanding metal in the hot motor)...

Based on the sound made when hand-cranking (there is a short 'hiss' (like letting air out of a tire) from each cyl at a set point in the cycle, as if a valve was opening when it should not) I'm guessing I'm overdue for a valve adjustment, and that this is the root of the odd compression readings.. Any other ideas?

SECOND

Valve clearance (shim over bucket)...

On my 450, the 'proper' method, IIRC, for doing a VCA was to check each with the cam-lobe-tip pointing up between the cam-cap bolts like an arrow.

Is this the same on the 850, or do I have to do something with the TDC marks on the ignition pickup or the allignment marks on the cams?

Your readings with the engine running have NO meaning. To check the compression the throdel must be held wide open Hissing when turning by hand is normal. Valve adj is the same Have the lobe perpendicula to the cyl head and measure the clearance .03-.08 mm or .0012-.0030 in

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
      Your readings with the engine running have NO meaning. To check the compression the throdel must be held wide open Hissing when turning by hand is normal. Valve adj is the same Have the lobe perpendicula to the cyl head and measure the clearance .03-.08 mm or .0012-.0030 in
      Ok, valve clearance is what I thought...

WRT compression, the correct procedure for compression testing is to warm the bike up, then crank the engine with throttle open & plugs disconnected?

I'd thought it was to check with the motor running, but I guess I'm wrong...

Comment

WRT compression, the correct procedure for compression testing is to warm the bike up, then crank the engine with throttle open & plugs disconnected?
        Plugs OUT.

I'd thought it was to check with the motor running, but I guess I'm wrong...
        I'm wrong lots - don't give it a second thought. 8)

Comment

Working...
        X