Second the thoughts on intake compatibility-for 850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second the thoughts on intake compatibility-for 850

It seems that you and I are on similar quests, Dark Jedi. I'm looking at intake boot compatibility issues, thinking about replacing my stock air box with pods, and I'm strapped for cash too. But I suppose few among us fall outside that last condition. :?

Concerning the intake boots, I have been wondering if the intake boots used on Yam XS650s from 1980 to 1984 might be an acceptable replacement for my 1980 stock Suzuki GS850 intake boots. Both used Mikuni carbs, the main difference being the Suz 850 uses BS32 carbs while the Yam 650 uses BS34s.

I've been going through MikesXS parts catalog, and it appears that many parts interchange between the two carbs, such as floats, float seats and needles, float gaskets, jets, etc. But I've also learned that the mixture screws do not match as their tapers are different.

But what about the intake boots? I assume the inside diameters of the boots and the center-to-center distance between the mounting holes would need to match. Are there any group members familiar enough with these different bikes and carbs to weigh in on the issue?

Also, if these do match, the Yamahas used a metal, elliptical gasket between the boot and the engine instead of the rubber o-ring used on my 850. Can the metal gasket also be used in place of the o-ring, if needed?

And as a final, somewhat curious question, what does the 32mm measurement on my BS 32SS carbs refer too? Airbox opening? Butterfly opening? Carb slide? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.

Dunno about the 32mm masurement. I do know that pod filters for my bike and yours say they have a 54mm mouth. Been looking around a bit, and I think the 750 and 850 boots will work, as the pods are the same size. it appears the carbs on the 650 and 750 are the same, too. Head difference is going to be minnimal, an without an airbox, I get a little wiggle room too.

We shall see. nobody else bid on those GS750 intake boots on Ebay, please.

Comment

Re: Second the thoughts on intake compatibility-for 850

Originally posted by Arlyn Anderson
      And as a final, somewhat curious question, what does the 32mm measurement on my BS 32SS carbs refer too? Airbox opening? Butterfly opening? Carb slide? Anything else?

Thanks in advance.
      All I can help with is that the 32mm refers to the Carb outlet throat ID(interior diameter)

Comment

I got a set of 750 boots to try on the 650. If they don't fit, you want them to compare on your bike?

Comment

Working...
        X