Mixing Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing Tires

I bought some tires today- had to go to 2 different shops to get sizes that fit because I didn't plan ahead. Anyway, I found a Dunlop Elite for the rear, and a Dunlop F24 for the front. They are both good tires and Dunlops, but I have been told that it is a bad idea to mix different makes and models of tires, because they might ride, wear and handle differently.

What do you guys think? Is this a load of bull? My bike isn't exactly a Ducati. I ordered the matching Dunlop Elite but it won't be in before this weekends' ride. The shop said they don't mind keeping the Elite front tire in stock, but should I plan on mounting it up after the weekend ride? To me they are both black and round and hold air.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Better not be anything wrong with that combo- that's what I'll have once I finally get around to mounting the new rear.

I've been told they are fine together. Dunlop may even recommend them as a pair on their site.

People mix and match tires all the time. I'm sure you'll hear so in the later replies....

cK

Comment

I don't think that's a problem.

Comment

Yeah, I'm not too worried, I just wanted to know if anyone else had heard the same thing.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

It's a load of bull. The only thing that I would stay away from is mixing a radial with a bias, but other then that it doesn't matter.

Comment

I've heard the old GS's suspension wasn't designed for radials, so not to use them. I've also heard not to mix radials & bias ply tires. I have radials on the rear of both my 1150's & bias on the front. GS 1100 has a bridgestone rear & dunlop front, both bias ply. 1100 F Honda hsa radials on both ends, & 1300 Kaw has a matched set of Dunlops. I've had no kind of problems with any mixing or matching.

Comment

mixing tires

I've mixed radials and bias for 10+ years with no problems. 4 track days included. Always a bias Dunlop upfront, Metzler radial rear. Now I'm riding a bias rear Pirelli Sport Demon after riding and loving the MEZ2 for years. This Pirelli is noticably harsh over uneven pavement compared to the radial Metzler. It grips well though. Carter
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

You can mix radials as long as the radial goes on the rear. You don't want a radial up front with a bias rear.

You are here: BikeSafe / Page not found Our apologies. It seems that the page you are looking for cannot be found. Did you take a wrong turn? Please use the search below to help you in the right direction.

Comment

Thats the exact same combo I put on my GS1100 last year. I had never heard of the F24 before I bought it..the Dunlop website lists it as OEM for the Honda Shadow 1100 and Suzuki Intruder 1400 so I figured it would be ok for my GS1100. No problems so far (have put about 2000mi on the set)... the bike rides and handles fine

Comment

I've been mixing front and rear tires, brands and models, for 19 seasons of GS ownership, 7 seasons of MotoGuzzi ownership, 2 seasons of RD350 ownership -- you get the picture.

Right now I have a Harley Davidson Dunlop D401 on the rear (long story behind this one; some of you have heard it) and a Dunlop Qualifier F11 on the front. They work just fine. Never a bit of trouble.

I had a Conti Blitz on the front before the Dunlop, which worked very well with the cheap IRC I had on.

Cheap Nick

Comment

What brand, and size radial can you use on the 1150 rear? Do you have the stock rim?

Comment

Luke,
                        If you have the 3.5" wheel a 140 is the biggest you want to go.

Comment

Do they even make a 140 radial? I have a 140 bias now, but I don't recall seeing any radials that size, seems they start around 150.

Comment

I have mixed for a while now and had no problems

Comment

Dunlop used to, not sure if they still do. You might squeeze a 150 on as long as it's the 3.5" wheel, nothing smaller. Even then it's tight. Go to Tire Express, Avon still makes a 140 sport touring radial. Avon Azaro ST AV46. All the other manufacturers smallest is a 150.

Comment

Working...
                              X