• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil recomendations

Any oil prefrences out there?

Any synthetic users, haters...

what's the blood in your beast.

Reg castrol 10-40 If you go to synthetic you will find a lot of leaks you never knew you had

Comment

Synthetic is superior in every way over dino oil except for price. Some synthetics can cause the clutch to slip also so be careful. I use strictly dino oil since I change it so often, the price is not an issue. If I didn't change my oil as frequently perhaps I would consider the extra costs of synthetic. If you change your oil often, synthetic is way too expensive and you don't reap the benefits as much. I go with cheap 10w40 dino and make sure there are no friction modifiers in the formula. 8)

Comment

Yeah, just got the bike, so I was gonna give it a few changes quicker than normal... maybe a month apart. i bought synthetic for my other bike and heard once you put it in you have to stick with it from then on... then my bike got hit so I never knew if it was better or not.

Comment

You can go back and forth with either type.

Comment

OLD seals will start to leak if synthetic is used If you have rebuilt your motor go ahead and use synthetic

Comment

My engine has 66K on it. synthetic in summer Dyno in winter and not a drop leaks except from the cam chain adjuster which always leaked. so we all have diferent experiences with the oils. The trick is to change it often

Comment

I use shell rotella 15/40. I`ve used it in 350hp drag bikes to 4 wheelers. Never any clutch or oil related problems. And its cheap and does not have the dreaded auto oil additives that will make your clutch slip. If you research this its been a hot topic many times.

Comment

Just picked up a gallon of the Rotella 15/40 synthetic at Walmart a few weeks back. Only paid $11 or $12 for it.

Comment

Most of the 'leaks' that occur from using synthetics is caused from oily grime around the seals that gets cleaned off from the esters in synthetic oils. it is NOT because the synthetic is 'slipperier' than dino oils. both types are compatible with each other (this used to be a problem though, in years past), and like earlier posted, if you change your oil alot, like every 1k or 2k, you may not realise the benefits of using them. For 'off the shelf' types, Mobile 'red cap' (15w-50) has been proven to work well in our engines. Although I have not used them, Redline and Amsoil are superior oils if you like the mail-order or specialty parts house way.

Comment

I use Castrol 10w/40
                      A gallon at walmart was $6+

Never a problem, no clutch slipping over 30000 miles no issues
                      Keith
                      -------------------------------------------
                      1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                      2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

If you live in Canada

I have used canadian tire brand 10W40 for years and have had no trouble. Its $1.89 a liter!!! Beats the mega bucks stuff at the bike shops!! I dont know how some guys afford to stay in the sport for the cost of all our associated gear.

Comment

I won't use anything but mobil one. been using it for years and have almost 50000 on my bike,201000 on my truck and no internal problems yet.

Comment

Amsoil 20w-50 & 10w-40 are both wet clutch compatible and you " can "switch back to regular oil ( but why would you ?? ) , aslong as the motor is in good condtion and no oil leaks Amasoil can be used in any motor...

Comment

Originally posted by britman
                              Amsoil 20w-50 & 10w-40 are both wet clutch compatible and you " can "switch back to regular oil ( but why would you ?? ) , aslong as the motor is in good condtion and no oil leaks Amasoil can be used in any motor...
                              Just a comment on the switching. Why?? The synthetic oil causes my oil temp to run cooler and in winter, i dont feel the enine warms up enpugh so i switch back to dyno. i took the oil cooler off because i dont think it is needed. with the oil cooler on, the engine even ran way to cool for synthetic in the summer. That was just my experience .

Comment

Working...
                              X