Countershaft Sprocket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used an 18 inch 3/4 in drive ratchet--then i used the air impact wrench--afterwards i tried a chissel--next i dug out the turbo torch and heated the nut-then i used the impact wrench and the chisel again--no luck----must i crack the nut and replace it or what--if penetrating oil or something would help--what kind-- this has not been on for more that one year-i changed the sprocket the end of last august--help

you sure you know your right from left there scotty?.....just kidding ya......try tightend it a little 1st then take it off with the impact.

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
      you sure you know your right from left there scotty?.....just kidding ya......try tightend it a little 1st then take it off with the impact.
      did that Rick--the thing wont even budge??

Comment

Is this still with the chain and rear wheel attached? If so, you might get more confident with someone applying the brake while you torque away. It's only a 20MM bolt, so the torque shouldn't be too great. Does yours have the washer peened over the sides? These need to be flattened out away from the nut too, but even if you didn't... a 3/4 breaker wouldn't care. You sure it's not left-hand thread? Mine wasn't, but hey, you never know. How about a little Kroil (which is great stuff by the way), or some other penetrating fluid... hey, I'm shooting at straws now... 8O

Roger Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Moore
          Is this still with the chain and rear wheel attached? If so, you might get more confident with someone applying the brake while you torque away. It's only a 20MM bolt, so the torque shouldn't be too great. Does yours have the washer peened over the sides? These need to be flattened out away from the nut too, but even if you didn't... a 3/4 breaker wouldn't care. You sure it's not left-hand thread? Mine wasn't, but hey, you never know. How about a little Kroil (which is great stuff by the way), or some other penetrating fluid... hey, I'm shooting at straws now... 8O

Roger Moore
          i have tried all that and peaned the washer back--now i think i will leave the gear ratio as it is--i just wanted to gear it up to see how it would come on in first when it finally reached 6000 rpn

Comment

I had to use the old chain strapped to the frame, have my wife and my 16 year old teenager sit on the bike, and then finally a 8 foot (yes, that is 96 inches) cheater bar. Had a 22 mil 3/4 inch drive socket on a breaker. Got under that rig and lifted like I was going for the worlds record squat and jerk. Just about busted my "guys" but got that sucker backed off.

P.S. This was on my KAW GpZ750.

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
              I had to use the old chain strapped to the frame, have my wife and my 16 year old teenager sit on the bike, and then finally a 8 foot (yes, that is 96 inches) cheater bar. Had a 22 mil 3/4 inch drive socket on a breaker. Got under that rig and lifted like I was going for the worlds record squat and jerk. Just about busted my "guys" but got that sucker backed off.

P.S. This was on my KAW GpZ750.
              Bob
              Im glad you told me about how you did it--i was afraid i would break something--i put it back together and will look for a nice piece of pipe to extend what i thought was the mother of all ratchets--i will do it another day--i got rained out--but now i have another method to try--my 350 pound buddy will be in on it next time and also the giant that rescued me from under the bike last month
              Thanks again--i was concerned and was prepared to chissel the nut off and buy a new one

Comment

Scotty,

I'd just be careful that you have the bike in nuetral and use the chain and brake to hold the spocket in place while you heave an 8 foot lever-arm on the thing. I could just about see gears meshing and then cracking and then shattering under this force... but then again it may just turn the engine over

never mind me, it's Friday 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Moore
                  Scotty,

I'd just be careful that you have the bike in nuetral and use the chain and brake to hold the spocket in place while you heave an 8 foot lever-arm on the thing. I could just about see gears meshing and then cracking and then shattering under this force... but then again it may just turn the engine over

never mind me, it's Friday 8)
                  Why doesnt somebody do something about this i cry 8O 8O

What??? ME!!!!!!!

Comment

Hmm, that's odd. :? Whenever I want to remove my countershaft sprocket the nut is usually loose in the lock washer. I have removed other countershaft nuts with the same malady. And yes, I do retorque to the required specs. 8)
                    Kevin
                    E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                    "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                    Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
                      Hmm, that's odd. :? Whenever I want to remove my countershaft sprocket the nut is usually loose in the lock washer. I have removed other countershaft nuts with the same malady. And yes, I do retorque to the required specs. 8)
                      I think that my bike shop just wacks that one on--i will re torque after i finally get it loose another day

Comment

Mnut:

Maybe you should have your torque wrench recalibrated. I worked at a truck repair shop and our 4' long 3/4" torque wrench went in every year. The setting sould always be set to 0 after use as well.

Steve

Comment

find someone with a 1 inch impact gun.....I GARONTEEEE THE BUGGER WILL FLY OFF 8O

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                            find someone with a 1 inch impact gun.....I GARONTEEEE THE BUGGER WILL FLY OFF 8O
                            I have a ingersol rand 3/4'' impact with 1200lbft torque and a chicago pnumatic 1'' impact with 1800lbft of twist, you put that much power to the counter shaft nut and the counter shaft itself may fly off!!!! 8O

Comment

I don`t like to spead doom and gloom, but this is what I would do, after my last experience. My bike is an 82 GS1100E. I would crack the nut. I recently took my sprocket off and the nut was on tight, so I got out the breaker bar, put it in 5th gear, hit the brake and wound the nut off. Well, I also took out a little less than half the threads on the countershaft, due to the nut being overtightened.
                              Since the threads were iffy, I chose to change the countershaft since I had the motor apart anyway. But if I had to change it in the middle of riding weather, plus have to rip down the motor, I`d be hating that (*#$%
                              countershaft. I don`t know if this is a weak spot on the bike or not. I would just hate to see it happen to you.
                              Turbotorch? I thought only ac folks had those.
                              Jack

Comment

Working...
                              X