Bike Starts stalling after getting hot - then won't restart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Starts stalling after getting hot - then won't restart

my bike just recently started stalling once it fully warms up and then won't restart.

This started a while back when I let it run with the choke on to warm up. I came back to the bike and revved it a little (not over the red line) and then got a nasty backfire and the bike stalled. My first thought was that I internally damaged the motor, or skipped a tooth on the timing gear.
    I let the bike cool down and restarted it later....started fine and ran normally. Let it sit for about a week before trying again.

I went out yesterday (about a weel to week and a half after the "backfire" incident) to start it and she fired right up. Ran for about 15 minutes then stalled and I couldn't get it to restart. I waited a few hours and tried again....same problem!

Anyone have suggestions of where to start? I replcaed the regulator last year so I know that's not the issue, but something gives me the feeling its igniton related. Anyone hear of a recurring issue like this?

Thanks Much,
    Al Conforti

When's the last time you checked your oil?

Low oil level or gas-in-oil can cause this...

Comment

BUMP!!!

Comment

I had the same problem

Hey, I had the same exact problem as you with my 84 GS550, I changed the little sensor in the bottom case on the right side of the bike. Don't know what the sensor is called but it has a magnet attached.

Comment

Thats the signal generator. I have the same problem. I checked my coils last night and they my 2-3 coil was way off. I thought they were going bad, so I order the Accel kit. I will install otnight probably and give her a test, Keep your fingers crossed!!!

Comment

P.S. I changed my coils and it seems to be fine now!!!

Comment

Working...
            X