78 GS750 Ignition ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 GS750 Ignition ???

Hey Guys! i'm New to this Forum and to my 78 GS750 which is a restoration Project. Now i have this question. has anyone made their Points bike into a Electronic Ignition using a newer models ign set up? like the one from a 80-up GS? I'm talking form a factory ign. not a aftermarket.
    Also can the plug wires be changed on the O.E. M Coil???

Well thanks for anyhelp!
    Zay

The plug wires cannot be connected from the OEM coils as far as I could see. Why do you want to change to elec. ignition?

Comment

IM SURE YOU COULD SWITCH OVER TO A NEWER SUZUKI SETUP BUT I WOULD GO WITH A DYNA SIG GENERATOR AND AFTERMARKET COIL KITS, MUCH LESS TROUBLE TO CONVERT TO THE DYNA SYSTEM I THINK.

Comment

conversion - Yes

I converted my 77 motor to use the electronic ignition from the gs550M, which is the same unit as on the slightly later 750's
        I also ran a 850 for a while with the same igniter units on it.
        WHat you need for the conversion are :-
        The reluctor that replaces the cam
        The baseplate and pickups that replace the coils
        The little metal plate from behind the baseplate that contains the timing marks
        The coils (theyre a different impedance to the coil ones)
        The ignitor unit itself.
        I made up my own wiring loom from looking at the manuals but you may be able to alter the wiring loom to suit or use the other one, sit and think it all out, its not that difficult.
        The igniter from a gsx250 is also the same unit, and the pickups too, but the baseplate is radically different. Im not sure if you can order just the plate from suzuki though. If you could, could be a good upgrade path.
        I run coils from a kawasaki gpx600r on mine, because theyre the same ohmage as the suzuki electronic coils and the wires are replaceable. I have some dynas to use this year, but im getting the twitch about replacing the kawa coils with them because I didnt know the damn wires were held on by screws, and geting taylor leads to fit PROPERLY is sposed to be a swine of a job!, nasty! The dynas are green twin output ones if you want to go that route.
        Hope this helps, I have had no ignition problems at all in the 7 years since I did mine, and I like the way I can rev it past the end of the redline without points bounce making the motor go fluffy.

Comment

Working...
        X