Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ignition problem? Fishing for opinions (non Suzuki)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ignition problem? Fishing for opinions (non Suzuki)

Folks,

My wife has a Korean scooter that doesn't like to keep running. It spits and sputters to life, runs a few seconds, and dies. I pulled the plug and looked at the spark, and it's pretty brown and wimpy. Not the hot blue I'd expect.

The opinion I need is this: which is more likely to cause such a spark - a failing coil or a failing electronic ignition module?

Dave

Re: ignition problem? Fishing for opinions (non Suzuki)

My thought is that if an ignition module isnt working, you would have no spark, so I would guess the coil is the most likely problem.

Earl

Originally posted by Hinermad
    Folks,

My wife has a Korean scooter that doesn't like to keep running. It spits and sputters to life, runs a few seconds, and dies. I pulled the plug and looked at the spark, and it's pretty brown and wimpy. Not the hot blue I'd expect.

The opinion I need is this: which is more likely to cause such a spark - a failing coil or a failing electronic ignition module?

Dave
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Or maybe just a fouled plug. If it's a two stroke they will foul plugs even with tuning set up perfectly.

Comment

Weak battery?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

The plug was in surprisingly good shape, but I cleaned it and reset the gap anyway. The battery was newly charged, too.

The thing was running fine about 3 days before, but when my wife went out to start it she ran the battery down cranking it. (Hence the new charge.) I managed to get it running and started around the block with it but it kept cutting out. That's when I started digging for a problem and discovered the weak spark.

Dave

Comment

wippy

does it have a resistor in the plug cap??? or is it a resistor type cap check with an ohm meter,also some plugs can be shorted down in side the insulator most common on two strokes , start with a fresh plug in the correct heat range

Comment

Is it a two-stroke? If so the plug can look fine and still not be good enough.

Comment

Working...
              X