Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the deal with the '83 GS1100E clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the deal with the '83 GS1100E clutch?

Exactly what were Suzuki engineers smoking when they decided that they would use a different set of clutch plates in the 1983 model year of the GS1100E? I couldn't believe it when I started looking for replacement clutch plates and found this out. What's up with that? Also, anybody know where to find them where they won't be on back order? I found EBC clutches on BikeBandit and ordered them, but they're on back order, so who knows when the hell I'll get them! Any other '83 owners going through this BS??

Call your local dealer. The stock plates are the best anyway. Although they cost a little more, they are worth it in the long run because they last so long.

Comment

Check out http://www.usedmotorcycleparts.com/

We know them as Cycle Recycle II and they are first rate!

They ship fast and use great parts (new and used) at competetive prices. They told me that most OEM parts of this type are made by Vesrah and relabeled. Just replaced the clutch on my '83 1100G and the parts arrived in two days.

Good Luck!
      Steve 8)

Comment

Thats true, but they are made to Suzuki's spec by Vesrah. This is not the same thing as buying Vesrah plates. Just so noone thinks that they are the same thing.....

Comment

The guys at Cycle-Re-Cycle have kind of developed a reputation for knowing everything about everything and they seemed pretty sure that the Vesrah parts I was buying were indeed exactly the same as what Suzuki receives. Are they? I don't know, but they certainly could have sold me heavier duty (and more expensive) parts, yet recommended against it for normal duty riding.

I've worked in a couple of different situations where OEM products were nothing more than relabeled items from a particular manufacturer. In my experience, it was actually rare that meaningful changes were ever made. You may be right, HiSPL, but in any case I feel quite satisfied with the product I received. After doing a thousand miles this weekend the clutch not only feels much more solid (as you would expect), but the new springs (also Vesrah) are significantly stiffer than the old worn out ones.

In any case, if they can get you the difficult to find replacements you're looking for, I'd advise you to be confident that you'll be getting a quality product even if Suzuki has slightly different specs for the OEM part.

Regards,
          Steve 8)

Comment

Re: What's the deal with the '83 GS1100E clutch?

Originally posted by skytzo
            Exactly what were Suzuki engineers smoking when they decided that they would use a different set of clutch plates in the 1983 model year of the GS1100E? I couldn't believe it when I started looking for replacement clutch plates and found this out. What's up with that? Also, anybody know where to find them where they won't be on back order? I found EBC clutches on BikeBandit and ordered them, but they're on back order, so who knows when the hell I'll get them! Any other '83 owners going through this BS??
            Just go for the old setup, that works better. Buy org. friction plates if you don?t want any problems. The old setup means one less plate, just toss one steel plate over your shoulder and mount it all together. The older ones are a little thicker meaning they dont wear the inside of the basket all that much as the "newer" setup. I did it a few years ago and the clutch now has about 18000 miles on it. Thats my opinion anyway. It works great for me with almost 160hp at the wheel. sorry, worked great before the engine blew up due to wrong timing of the ex.cam and a new unstretched camchain wich now is.....

Comment

This is where I got mine for my 82 1100e (the OEM's). Don't know if they're in stock however.

Comment

Working...
              X