Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems against making......

Hi all ,

First off a big thanks to everyone for all the tips and info, i put my bike away a year ago after putting a new timming chain on and adjusting valves and it not running. A week ago i got back on here did some searching on adjusting and syncing carbs. I did a manual sync and now it runes and runes smooth. Id like to do a full sync on it though and I have the question whats the problem in making guages..... It seams in high school we had some that just used hoses and antifreeze...... if you were to take tubing fill it partially with antifreez or some liquid that is visable.... why woulnt it work.? Mount it on a stiff backing with a yardstick to mesure.....

Let me know what im missing... $10 sounds better then $40

It would work. Hope you live in an apartment building with roof access, so you can get your bike up there and hang the water-filled manometer over the edge. If your bike is producing 20 in. Hg vacuum, which it should, that work out to about 22 feet of water.

Comment

DRAT! You beat me to it. There I was all ready with a nice smart ass reply too.

Earl :-) :-)

Originally posted by mcconnell
      It would work. Hope you live in an apartment building with roof access, so you can get your bike up there and hang the water-filled manometer over the edge. If your bike is producing 20 in. Hg vacuum, which it should, that work out to about 22 feet of water.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

This is possible but do not use antifreeze; it is, as said above, too light. Use two-stroke oil, available at most auto parts stores. It is not mercury, but because it is lighter, it is more sensitive and you will be able to sync VERY accurately. It is also safer for the engine in case it gets sucked in.

Just have four long (a couple of yards), separate sections of clear plastic tubing and tape them securely to a flat surface. Make sure they are cut to equal length and aligned on the flat surface. Seal each tube end off with caulk or a sturdy, sealing rubber plug and allow to dry if a wet material. Fill each tube with an identical amount of oil. Attach each tube to a carburetor vacuum port and then run the engine.

Comment

Earl, were you about to say something about the specific gravity of oil being less than water (that's why it floats on top), therefore the building the bike gets parked on top of has to be even higher?

Comment

If it is the case that oil will not work, as I have never tried it myself, there is a solution that still uses oil.

Instead of having four separate tubes, use only two long pieces of 1/4" clear tubing, looping around at the bottom to come back up the tall mounting object. Use something like a yardstick for accurate measurement, or something a little wider so you can mount the tubes side by side. Fill with oil in one end of each tube so that when upright, the oil rests in a "U" formed by the tubing's curving at the bottom. Have an equal amount of oil in each tube for identical "U"s. Now plug both ends of each tube into different carburetors and run the engine. Synchronize so that so each arm of each "U" is identical on both sides.

At a cost of only around 5$ for oil, tubing and a yardstick, this is worth trying.

He's not trying to measure vacuum but to achieve equal vacuum... you guys! Tubing is significantly larger than the capillary mercury sits in.

Comment

just get a single vacuum guage and slowly record all data from each cylinder one at a time

Comment

god what are you thinking

Lets see by the time you run around and burn about $20 worth of gas plus the cost of parts, your time and fustration,and you get the joy of taking carbs back off to get a mechanical start over when you screw up,you can have it delivered to your door, for about $46 bucks, ( with the adaptors) then if you sell the bike you can sell them on a website for about half of what you paid!!! FINAL COST $23 BUCKS

Comment

Working...
                X