Mid-Range Cruising issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid-Range Cruising issues

Ok all, Went on a group ride yesterday and ended up riding in a different style than I'm used to. Just cruising along at 35-45 mph. Most of the time in 3rd or 4th gear.

Doing this kept the RPM's in mid -range (3000-5000) for extended periods of riding.

I noticed part way through the ride if I rode for any distance in this range, if I would go to get on the throttle to, say accellerate out of a corner, it would hessitate, almost like I was out of gas, but then would pick up and accelerate like normal. I'd then drop her back down to the mid-range, and as long as I didn't stay there, I could accelerate through without any problems.

So, this only developes after riding in that range for any extended period of time, then will go away as long as I dont hang there too long.

So, here are my plans for the future (when weather cooperates). Seeing as I do not want to pull the carbs and loose a weekend of riding, I'm going to run some carb/injector cleaner through a tank of gas. I'm well aware of the risks of doing this and leaving it sit in the carbs, so my plan is to start out the morning by putting some in my first tank, then ride it through about 2 or 3 more fill ups. Then we'll see if she still doesn't like the mid range. Plans are in the future to completely tear down the carbs and re-build them with the O rings I purchased from Mr. Barr.

I also plan on (if I get a nice day this week) taking it out for a spin and getting it to the point where I know it will hessitate, then pulling it over and reading my spark plugs. Just to find out how it is running in that range.

Here are the specs on the bike:

1982 GS650E
    K&N OEM drop in replacement filter
    Everything else is stock as far as I'm aware

I dunno, sounds like she's running a tad lean in the mids.
    Good to do plug read after a nice run at that range for a while.

Comment

I would try synching the carbs, or at least spraying the throttle valves with carb cleaner and test.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Yup, a synch helped me out in the same regard quite a bit.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
        X