X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

world of problems

Ok where should i start.... The bike model on the sticker was GS450TX7
    I have a GS450 uknown year i think 81 82 or 83?! MFG in 8/81
    To explain why I know so little well I worked at yamaha for about 2 years and this bike was just sitting around forever so I asked why and they said the guy never picked it up so they were going to throw it away. So I took it home...

So far I runs but kinda rough so I'm replacing parts.

my first problem is that the rubber intake boots on the engine side by carbs are cracked so I wanted to get them off. I tried to unscrew one side and the heads of the screws uhhh well rounded, I got the other side's boot off though. So how can I get the other side off now?!

secondly I knocked out the airbox because I noticed that on my yamaha banshee it has relatively the same size diameter carb opening toward airbox. So I figured I'd order the same two K&N's that clamp straight to the carbs. I know I will probably have to rejet or somthing but maybe not let me know what you think about this modification?

thirdly where can I get a carb rebuild kit for this bike?

forthly the speedo doesnt work at all nor the tach, where replacements?

fifthly how would I go about getting a title for this bike! is it possible?

Well thanks for hanging in there I know thats alot of stuff,
    Ryan

Restoring huh? Been there done that!!!

Ok Lets take this one at a time OK?
    First of all the boots
    You will probably have to take the carbs out first, was going to do that anyway huh?
    Now you could get in there with either an air powered cutoff tool or a stout pair of shears to cut off the clamps, by the way you can use plain hoseclamps as a replacement if you don't mind the appearance.
    On the rejet you may or may not need to rejet you might just have a mild flat spot in the rev range which would be tolerable. which brings us to the rebuild , I would suggest you have a shop do this as it is complex especially if you've never done one before.If your going to do it you'll need a large clean preferably white surface to work on with a large selection of correct sized screwdrivers which are not well worn.Beware of flying & tiny parts & follow the instructions to the letter..
    On the speedo and tach both I believe are cable driven with the speedo coming from the front wheel and the Tach coming from the top of the valve cover. Unscrew the cable from the instrument side with a plain pair of pliers both sides with the tach cable & possibly with the other also. Usually the cable gets rusted bind and break inside. Check to see where the rotation is lost either the speedo drive at the wheel thru the cable or the instrument head itself. Only three possibilities there. The tach drive really only two cable or instrument head.
    On the Title you'll have to apply at your local DMV for a replacement title this process should be started first as you have the other stuff to do & by the time the paperwork comes thru you'll be done with the rest of it!
    Rick..........

Comment

My buddy bought a Harley sitting on the side of some dudes house for $500 with no title and totally rebuilt it... anyway here in NY the DMV made him send a letter to the "original owner" and he had to answer it and mail it to the DMV stating it was sold, for how much, and the year it was sold. Wasnt really much of a headache, just time consuming (I work at the Post Office and know how slow the mail can be ). Once the DMV got the letter from the guy it went pretty quick...

Comment

Ah, lovely NH. All I had to do was call up the local cops. They said I would have to bring the bike down to the station for an officer to verify the VIN #. The next day I called up to politly ask if a passing cruiser could stop by and look in the driveway. They said, "no problem!" That afternoon I had my bike on the road! I love Republicans.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Thanks for all the help... I just jb welded the cracked boot. Kinda a bad way out but hey it was cheap and it worked.

Since I worked at yamaha as a mechanic for two years I really don't think taking it to a shop would really do me anything better than drain my wallet.

I got the carbs on and the boots sealed up fine and now I am just waiting for my two filters to come in the mail.

You were right the cables are frozen and also on the tach i took it out and bunches of metal fragments fell out when I took the cable out of the engine uggg. Wonder if I could use some auto part store speedo or tach as a replacement? or would it have to be a special fit from suzuki?

As far as a title I would hate for this bike to come up stolen or something after all the work I have done to it!!! Not so sure about calling police out hehe I didn't steal this bike but you never know how things come about.

Thanks again for all of the help i got here. This site is great glad I found it.

Comment

I would do the paperwork BEFORE spending any money on the bike. I know of a guy who put a bunch of money into a '68 Mustang and then went to insure it, the cops showed up and took it AWAY! 8O Turns out it was stolen! He lost his purchase price AND all the money he put into it. Be very careful with vehicles that have no title. :?
            Kevin
            E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
            "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
            Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Thats scary!! Hope mines not stolen or somethin. I better get a cop I know to run the #'s for me so he won't arrest me or something. LOL!

I called the title people man I gotta fill out so much bull crap notorize this have an officer sign this buy a bond and soo much more too much to list!! I just wann ride this friggin motorcycle! argggg

Comment

Don't put too much work into the bike without a title. I just went through this with my CB550F. Came as a parts bike with a CB750 my brother bought. No title and No keys and came from Newark, NJ. I thought I would just go through one of those titleing services where they buy the bike and sell it back to you with bill of sale and all that...but you still have to know the previous REAL owner. I ended up just getting a titled frame from ebay and swapping everything onto it. I sure wasn't going to take the chance of having it confiscated had it come up stolen. It was enough of a pain that I will never buy anything without a title unless it is for parts.(and my bro gave this to me for $40)

Trevor

Comment

Flexible JB Weld

Learn something every day. I had no idea JB Weld made a flexible version. Bob

Comment

Working...
                  X