Cam chain problems after replacing head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam chain problems after replacing head

I can't get my cam chain over the cams, for some reason. There appears to be about a link's worth of slack missing, making it a tad too short.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong here? Tensioner is out, chain guides are in. Maybe the guides are in backwards or something?

Maybe the chain slipped off the crank cog a little and it hasn't seated right.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Maybe a stupid suggestion but did you take off the cam chain tensioner?

Comment

My .02 cents worth. spin the motor around while you hold the cam chain up in the air to make sure it isn't binding way down in the cases. Install and bolt down the exhaust cam at TDC. Take out the tensioner and push the cam chain guide back. Then install the intake cam. Then put the tensioner back in. Make sure you crank the motor around by hand to make sure you have the cams installed and timed correctly before you try starting it.

Comment

Two good points made. Back off the chain tensioner and make sure that the cam chain is not binding down by the crank. It can be either or both of these problems.

Comment

Forehead smack day. I had the cams backward, and that seemed to make all the difference in the world, for some reason. Dunno why, exactly, it made a difference in the chain tightness.

So, FYI... Exhaust cam goes in front. Dunno how I managed to get that backwards.

Now the clencher: I'm ready to do final assembly, after making sure it all fits. I can;t find my freaking book anywhere.
            What are the torque settings on the head bolts and the cam bolts? Danged book always hides when I need it, underfoot when I don't. You'd think it was a teenager.

Comment

Yes, exhaust in front. As for chain tighness, it shouldn't matter unless the cam was also swapped end for end. I suspect that in changing the cams back you fixed the problem with the chain on the crank without knowing it.

I can get the specs for you in about an hour if no one else has them.

Comment

Dark Jedi, I have a gs1100gk and the head bolts torque to about 38ft lbs and the cam caps to about 7ft lbs (84in lbs) I would use a good in lb torque wrench on the cam caps. I used my 3/8 clicker ft lb wrence and broke one of them off. Just a heads up on that. Not sure if yours are the same as mine, no mention of what engine it is in the post.

Comment

[quote="Dark Jedi"]Danged book always hides when I need it, underfoot when I don't. You'd think it was a teenager.quote]

I say the same thing about my tools all the time.

Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                  X