Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adjusting Idle

1981 GS550T, 16,000 Miles

Question is how do you adjust the idle, as it is idleing at 2k - 2.5k revs when warm, and I want to dial it down to 1k - 1.5k. The idle also varies from 2k -2.5 to 3k some days, but is costant at the revs it is ideling at - no jumping or surging. In my clymers it shows a dial under the fuel tank. I have no such monster, and the bike has had a fuel cut off installed - petcock still works, so why I do not know why - preventative maintance maybe? Bike was in storage, all carbs have been redone,choke cable is loose -clothes pins works well, I hear I am not the only one - Bike goes in for service next week, but I am trying to do as much as I can in the limited time I have to actually work on it prior to lower my expenses.. :?

thanks all - Rob

The dial you're looking for, is either on top of the carbs (between #2 and #3 carb), or underneith them. Depends on witch type of carbs are fitted.
    It's quite a big knob, you can't miss it!

Comment

I didn't see the knob, I'll look agian, but i don't think it's there (broken, missing?) - What to do if it is gone?

Comment

missing stop

If its gone, look at the throttle shaft where the cable actually attaches to the carburettor, when you shut the throttle, the pulley on the throttle shaft itself on the carburettors will snap shut touching something, this will form the throttle stop.
        You should be able to trace it back to where it can be adjusted from this, if the stop has sheared off level with the bodies, you may end up removing the carbs and drilling it out, but id very much doubt this has happened. You might want to leave it to the shop before you take this extreme..
        You might find a tiny maglite a real boon in that small space...

Comment

Working...
        X