Front brake switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front brake switch

I was told that the brake light on my GS1150EFF was not coming on very often during braking. After checking it out I found that if I braked lightly, the brake light wouldn't come on, but if I grabbed a good handfull of the lever it did.
    All I can see is two screws holding the switch on under the master cylinder. Nothing I have tells me the makeup of the switch. While I had the bike apart on the weekend I forgot to check this out.
    Is there away to adjust the switch to pickup a smaller movement of the lever? Is the switch a pressure switch? If I remove it, will I start loosing brake fluid? (don't want that stuff all over the fairing :x ) Or is it some kind of magnetic non-contact switch? It seems too small for a micro switch.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

The switch you are dealing with is a contact switch. Chances are it is quite corroded and that is why you aren't making the contact.

You can take it appart without loosing any fluid, however be careful, as there is a spring in there that really likes to find it's way into unknown places once left loose.

Alternatively, check out this thread:

it is a review on a Hydraulic switch available from DennisKirk and has gotten a good review on this site.

Hope that helps you out.

Amos

Comment

There is some adjustment on the switch. Under the cover is a small circuit board that can be moved. Also clean all the contacts if you take it apart. Be careful about the parts that will fall out of the brake lever. There is a T-shaped piece of plastic that a spring slides into and a U-shaped contact. Try just sliding the circuit board first by backing off on the screws and moving the whole housing.

Comment

](*,)

You know, I remember looking at that a while back. It just didn't register. I never searched thinking it was an odd problem.

Thanks Amos and Billy

I'll check the switch out first. If any problems, I'll be looking for the pressure switch.

Comment

Not a problem, In the future, when I can afford it, I plan on purchase these myself.

Amos

Comment

Try loosening the screws just a bit and tapping the switch back and forth a bit to change its position slightly. With a few tries, you can usually sort of recalibrate where it comes on.

It's the most wretched, touchy, cruddy, overly sensitive, subject-to-failure mechanism I've ever seen, but there's no point in taking it apart if you don't have to.

Failing that, you could replace it with a proper hydraulic switch as suggested earlier. You could also get a new replacement switch from Cycle Recycle:
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
              It's the most wretched, touchy, cruddy, overly sensitive, subject-to-failure mechanism I've ever seen, but there's no point in taking it apart if you don't have to.
              The funny thing about it is the clutch switch is basically the same, gets used more, and seldom do you ever here of trouble with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
                Originally posted by bwringer
                The funny thing about it is the clutch switch is basically the same, gets used more, and seldom do you ever here of trouble with it.
                Also the switches will interchange, if looking in the used market.

Comment

When adjusting my brake switch for the first time, I discovered the cover had a crack in it. I cleaned up the internals, got it activating correctly, and found myself doing the same service only a month later! I took the cover off, and found everything coated in dirt and crud again, after only a month. Came to the conclusion the crack in the cover was allowing the weather into the switch. I mixed up some quick set expoxy, and lightly filled/coated the crack, and reinstalled the cover. That was a year and a half ago, with no further trouble (so far!).
                  I *will* be buying one of the hydraulic replacements the next time. 8)
                  Scott

Comment

What a piece of engineering crap... 8O ....

I can't believe how they made the switch. All you're doing is dragging a piece of copper over two exposed wires.

Taking it apart really wasn't that bad. It was the not knowing how it works before I look it apart that scares me. You know, when you pull it apart and something flys out only to find out you never saw how it was together before it happened. 8O

Well, it was gummed up with a bit of dirt, and some corrosion, but it was't too bad. A cleaning with a metal brush to polish the copper and some electrical lube, and it works better. The adjustment is not much to write home about.

I now see why changing to the hydraulic pressure switch is the best way to go next time.

Thanks for all the help everyone

Comment

Working...
                    X