Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripped oil pan plug

Hello All,

Just changed the oil on th bike (79gs 850) and after hand threading the drin plug into the bottom of the pan, i found out that it had pulled ouyt all of the threads from inside the hole. I remember seeing a couple of threads related to this but I can't find anything through the search feature. (Actually I can never really find anything through the search feature, is this commom?) Anyways I know that I can heli coil it, but I remeber seeing a thread regarding using an oversize drain plug from an auto store. I seem to remember that the thread mentioned what size to use. Does anyone remember this thread?

Thank You

Hi....One tip when you're searching: Make sure you select the "search for all terms" option, you'll narrow your search down a whole bunch. I found the thread you were looking for by searching for "oil plug stripped" it's in the Tips and Tricks section and was started by Billy Ricks.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Randy

Comment

Go to auto parts get Motormite pn #65217 oversized drain plug

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
        Go to auto parts get Motormite pn #65217 oversized drain plug
        Hey lynn.
        I had a helicoil put in mine and would have loved an oversized plug. The helicoil blocks off part of a chanell preventing the complete draining of oil in a change. Is that a metric thread part #??

Comment

Or you can do like me... though I haven't gotten to it yet, I have the whole pan waiting to be installed Got mine off EBay pretty cheap and even came with a spare oil filter cover and gasket (good thing too, I ruined a gasket changing the oil and there it was just in time) with all nuts and bolts included.

Now to actually get the durn thing installed...

Comment

Try this http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=14570

Comment

I rode for about 5 years with a rubber plug installed. Worked great, never leaked a bit!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I used to work in a NAPA parts store a few years back and we has temporary freeze plugs that were rubber in the middle with steel front and back and a bolt that ran through the center to make the rubber expand in the middle. Something like that might also wirk for you.

Comment

Is this a problem?
                  Not really. Steel into alloys like your oil pan will all have this problem sooner or later. HeliCoil make's a kit just for this sort of thing. If your bike is like both mine it use's a 14mm thread just like the spark plug's. That's why the wrench will fit both! The kit has a reamer that threads the hole at the same time. Then you LockTight the STEEL insert into the hole, and it won't leak and you will never have this problem again. Also if you ever strip out a spark plug, you can fix it as well. I just did mine and the 3/8" insert fits flush inside your pan so ALL the oil WILL drain out. It took me 1 hour to drop the pipe's remove the pan and fix and replace everything. I've used this tool many time's on head's and if done right the insert will never come out, unless heated with a torch. The kit is so cheap it's stupid and the insert's come in sizes of 3/8" to 1.25". If you want to fix this you might as well fix it right the first time. Go to Tool Source.com and look in the HeliCoil section, you will see what I'm talking about.
                  Keith

Comment

I stripped mine out years ago. I found a complete oil pan and plug, like new from a motorcycle junk yard on the net. But I never bothered to install it. Because, (and I'm not saying this is the best way to go, but it worked for me) I ended up using one of those expanding rubber plugs from an auto store, then put a big blob of JB Weld over it, effectively sealing the hole. Now I just suck out the oil through the filler hole with a ten dollar plastic hand pump. You have to tilt the bike toward the right side, but it gets just about every drop. Granted, not a "by the book" fix, but it's worked fine for me over the last ten years.

Comment

It all boils down to what is available at the time you are faced with this problem. As long as your fix works and does no harm then it is a success.

Comment

Working...
                      X