Non Matching Serial Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non Matching Serial Numbers

I posted a few days ago that my '82 GS 1100E had sprung a valve cover leak. While trying to figure out what gaskets I would need to repair it, I noticed the engine and frame numbers didn't match. The engine number ends with an X. Not the original engine? Does the X tell me that the motor came from a different model year than my '82 "Z" bike? Also coming to my attention was the fact that I couldn't find the OFF position on the fuel petcock? Is there one? Thank You for any insight you can provide! Kelly

Kelly I have 82 750 EZ but if you look at serial # on post you will see at the end that it is an X bike and motor are from same year
    as for your petcock no there is no off there is on reserve and prime leave it in the run postion unless you drain or redo carbs then use prime for 15 to 20 seconds to refill the bowls

Comment

Re: Non Matching Serial Numbers

Originally posted by KELandMIS
      I posted a few days ago that my '82 GS 1100E had sprung a valve cover leak. While trying to figure out what gaskets I would need to repair it, I noticed the engine and frame numbers didn't match. The engine number ends with an X. Not the original engine? Does the X tell me that the motor came from a different model year than my '82 "Z" bike? Also coming to my attention was the fact that I couldn't find the OFF position on the fuel petcock? Is there one? Thank You for any insight you can provide! Kelly
      You need to count the number of bolt holes in the valve cover to be sure. The '80 and '81 models have a different cover than the '82-83 bikes.

Comment

Also on the valvecover, in the center left to right, the 82s on have a bolt on either side of the portion that sticks out, looks like a couple of tabs about 2 inches wide where the timing chain runs. This where the extra bolts Hap mention go.

My 82 engine serial number ends in X also.

Comment

Working...
        X