using 3 not 4 !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using 3 not 4 !!

Hi all, I have a 78 GS 750 with an 844 wiseco kit. I park the bike friday night with all four cylinders working, when I start it Monday morning only 3 are working and number 2 is very wet and black and wont fire until I take it out and clean it up with emery paper. Float levels ok. Air mix is 1 1/4 turns, cleaned all jets, mix screw underneath is 1 1/2 turns. If anyone can help it would be appreciated. Its driving me nuts

If you have a vacuum actuated petcock check the vacuum line for fuel. If there's fuel in it the diaphram in the petcock is leaking.

Comment

On a 78 750E, the #3 cylinder has the petcock vacuum fitting. A leaking petcock wouldnt make cyl #2 run wet due to fuel in the petcock vacuum line.
      Maybe a sticking float or jammed float needle in the #2 bowl?

Earl

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
      If you have a vacuum actuated petcock check the vacuum line for fuel. If there's fuel in it the diaphram in the petcock is leaking.
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Or a bad o-ring on the float valve seat.

Comment

Thanks for that. I checked the float level last night and its a bit under the recommended setting but I havent checked to see if the needle is jammed. I'll check this out tonight. One more question, I read in another forum that this model had a problem with the o ring under the tappet cover that goes around the cam chain leaking. Could this be some of the problem you think? the only reason I ask is that it blows smoke when I have been sitting at the lights or idling for awile and on start up when its cold. I had the guides redone not long ago when I had a new base gasket put on. Cheers

Comment

The o-ring I'm talking about is on the valve that the float needle seats in. You have to pull the seat out to get to it.

Comment

plug

Is it gas or oil fouled? smells like gas? feels like oil? is the smoke grey/blue or black, need more info!!!

Comment

The smoke coming out the back is blue. When I take the plug out its black and there is a lot carbon (or something) around the elctrode. And around the seat of the plug its all wet and shiny. Havent stuck my nose on it yet to see what it is. I'll also check out the oring on the valve that the float needle sits in. Cheers

Comment

78 does NOT have the O ring, it is a screw in IS it wet with gas or oil??

Comment

Took the plug out this morning and it is soaked with fuel. I ride the bike to work and back in the city everyday which is about an 18km round trip. What has me confused is how can fuel leak into the cylinder when the bike isnt running? The fuel tap is the vacuum type and its only doing it on the number 2 cylinder. I checked the float level with the bike running and its slightly under the recommend reading.

Comment

You have to remember - the lower the float setting the higher the fuel level 23-25 mm so if you have it set at 22 it will run rich, it will allow more fuel into the float bowl before it shuts off

Comment

Working...
                      X