Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EEK! Looking for a special nut, and can't find it!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEK! Looking for a special nut, and can't find it!

Ok...while removing one of the storage baskets from off my 78 GS1000, I didnt use enough WD-40 or something and broke off one of the supposed "coupling nuts" which hold the basket bracket to the upper rear strut mount.

Its pretty much a 3/4" long coupling nut which threads onto the upper rear strut mount (and moves the basket mount away from hitting the strut), then you thread another bolt into it to hold the basket to the stud. I know this may seem hard to imagine, so I will try to get some pics within a day or two.

The big problem is I cant seem to find a replacement. I would just use a standard nut, but its not thick enough, and the stud isnt long enough to just use washers. If anyone knows where I could find such a piece, I would appreciate it, since i was a pain jsut to find replacement bolts, let alone these coupling nuts.

I think scotty is our most special nut. Possibly Rocky.

Michael

Comment

coupling nut

Actually that's what they're called, a coupling nut.
      Don't know what's available in your neck of the woods but try an industrial supply company, the kind that supplies nuts, fasteners etc to industry.
      Failing that, get two convebtional nuts and weld them together....Mike

Comment

Coupling nuts

Try searching here,

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Kevan
        GS750

Comment

Another place that has most everything:

American Fastener offers a variety of different fasteneers to fit your need.

The search function is pretty useful and they seem to have everything imaginable in fasteners.

Mark

Comment

try a hardware store. they usually have em. go to a big one and you'll be hard pressed not to find em

Comment

Originally posted by crazyguy
              try a hardware store. they usually have em. go to a big one and you'll be hard pressed not to find em
              Tried both Lowes and Home Depot with no avail. HD didnt even HAVE coupling nuts, let alone any in the right size. My last try is Ace Hardware, but I dont think im gonna find anything. I searched the interenet, but I forgot the thread size, so I need to go find that out before looking for one on the net.

Comment

Metric or inch? Aftermarket racks could be either.

Ace will have inch sizes, but it's a royal PITA to find anything in metric. As suggested earlier, you could also weld two or more nuts together if you're desparate.

Does anyone know why it's so hard to find metric hardware in the US? American vehicles have used a lot of metric hardware since the 70s, and been pretty much all metric since the 80s. The only things that use inch size hardware anymore are lawn mowers, Hardleys, and other farm machinery. Home hardware is all inch, too, I guess.

Ace has the best selection of metric goodies in my home town, and it's still only less than 5% of the selection. They're always running out, so it's definitely selling well.

Our local DoItBest hardware store also has a selection of metric stuff, and sometimes they'll have stuff that Ace doesn't. They have a better selection of drill bits and metric taps.

I still can't figure out where all the metric hardware is.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Well, since it goes onto the upper strut mount it has to be metric, and my loca Ace probly has the best selection for specialty metric stuff. Standard metric can be found at almost all hardware stores, but definately I go to Ace for anything specific.

ya...as for the 2 nuts welded...i dont think it would be deep enough, and I would have to make sure they move as one (threads match up).

Comment

Working...
                  X