Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange noises from transmission..

Ok..

One noise I know I have from my bike is the tap-tap-tap of the clutch. That's annoying, but I have the cover off right now to look at the cause and fix. Just have to buy a 32MM socket to get off the hub nut.

While riding recently, I noticed a strange whirring noise, almost like tires on the road, but more pronounced. It varies with the speed of the bike. I put the bike on the centerstand, put it in first, and let the clutch out. (trying to isolate the noise.) What I heard was much different - a sharp clacking noise from the transmission on the left side of the bike. It sounded like a chunk of metal, like a nut, was working its way around inside the tranny. It wasn't constant, quite intermittent.

I've read that while on the centerstand, under no load, that strange noises can occur. Should I worry about this or just forget it?

Probably a bad chain

Comment

Re: Strange noises from transmission..

Originally posted by condensr
      While riding recently, I noticed a strange whirring noise, almost like tires on the road, but more pronounced. It varies with the speed of the bike.
      Is it coming from the front of the engine, if so check the tacho drive cable, it may be on the way out!

Comment

Probably the mainshaft bearings, these were reputedly of poorer quality and wear fairly badly, being unloaded just made it sound worse than it is.
        Gearbox bearings I replace every time I split the engine cases.
        Dink

Comment

How often should the bearings be replaced? I have never split my cases. It is the top end and clutch that has caused me problems.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            Probably a bad chain
            Shaft drive.. and I've checked the driveshaft u-joint for play, and found none in any direction.

So, no chance of a fix without splitting open the engine, huh?

Comment

Read thru that post too fast! It's a shaftie 8) check the beveled drive gears, make sure they have oil

Comment

Ok, so I got my clutch hub off, and the clutch basket, or primary driven gear.

There's springs on the backside! What purpose do those spring play? Is it normal for them to rattle around in the basket? The basket rivets seem to be nice and tight, so I dont think thats the problem..

Comment

Working...
                X