Front Brake Caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Brake Caliper

My front left brake caliper has been giving me fits. I can't tighten the top left caliper bolt without the brakes binding up and I can hardly push the bike in nuetral.
    I tried taking the guide pins out and clean and grease them. I noticed the shoulder of the top one was bent. The pins "Appears" to be straight, but when I tighten the top one all the way it binds the brake. Today I kept hearing the brakes rubbing (really annoying). I've done a million car brakes, but this is puzzling.
    I just took the caliper off and the inside pad is about gone, yet the outside appears new? The inside one doesn't appear even either (because of the binding?). That's probably due to the way I bought the bike and have ridden it (ie.. after I bought it I noticed this bolt loose and tightened it, this is when my problems began).
    Anyway, The only thing I see is that the caliper mounting bracket isn't centered on the rotor???? However the right bracket appears centered on the right rotor. Scotty (thanks) said to use washers as spacers. This appears to be a great Idea. I can use washers to shim the bracket, but what about the caliper? Isn't it supposed to float? Anyone have a caliper binding up before?
    I guess my true question is this: Is there some hardware I'm missing? ie... spacers or something? Also, why the bent guide pin? Nothing else is bent? Although in another post about my speedo drive, the drive was rotated into the bracket, but it broke the speedo cable, I can't believe it bent the bracket?
    Also, I have the top spring and one other spring that came off during my last removal. I put this spring on the inside bracket. Should there be 2 springs, one on each pad? Or just 1 and on which pad?
    When I say spring, I'm talking about those sheet metal bent configurations that act as dampeners.

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated.

Sorry, don't have an answer, just more questions. My recently aquired '83 GS 1100E has a similar problem . The right side caliper carrier is in contact with the brake disc ( on the out-board side so I can't shim it). Causes a similar problem with brake drag . I also have a major problem with fork shudder under braking and I'm wondering if this is related. ( I'm also looking at disc run-out etc.) Sorry to jump into your thread but I was just going to post something similar. Anyone got any ideas?

Comment

Jump away, anytime.
      I just used split washers to shim mine, don't know yet. Won't ride until tomorrow. I hate brake problems. I don't have a manual yet, so wonder if I'm missing some hardware. There was one little sheet metal spring thing, that I just couldn't figure out, so I left it out, so I guess I'll find out on my way to work. 8O 8O 8O

If your's is the opposite, where you can't shim it, maybe it is your rotor. Can you look at the fron of the bike and tell if maybe your fork is bent in?

Brain storm: What about Axle play? Could it be that your axle (maybe mine as well) is further to one side than the other? I've seen this on bycycle axles, but no experience on Motorcycle axles?
      Just food for thought.

Comment

Yeah, all those same ideas are running through my head, too. I wondered about a bent fork leg. One of this bike's previous owners put a fork brace on it so I loosened that the last time I put the wheel back on and did the "pump the forks to align everything before tightening the axle clamps" thing (kinda tough to do with the anti-dive ). I'm also sure that I have all the wheel spacers etc. correct. I was reading some older posts here and saw mention of a similar problem maybe resulting from a tweaked fender brace (?). Any of you long-time GS experts can feel free to jump in any time here....
        '83 GS 1100E in Ontario.

Comment

Well, I feel like a gorilla. Sitting in front of my bike, looking and once in a while I will grunt and toss some weeds towards it hoping to get an answer. 8O

Wow, not sure where that came from. Just kidding.

My forks look straight and after staring at the front for a while (see above) My calipers now look even (with a washer on the left side). My problem is that the moron that sold me the bike assured me I had NEW front brakes. That COULD of been true, but it appears 1 caliper was out of line. Now it looks ok, I will have to test ride, then get new pads.........

Your problem doesn't sound so easy. I would check axle bearings, and as I stated, straighten your wheel and sit and stare like a gorilla and note any differences in caliper and fork alignment. You might also notice axle shift (if there is such a thing - bearings?).

Good Luck. I may need to return here in a couple days if mine isn't right.....

Comment

Working...
          X