Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ratbike Chronicles - Exhaustectomy with no complications!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratbike Chronicles - Exhaustectomy with no complications!

Wow, what an evening! The old exhaust came off like it was just waiting on me! I used Liquid Wrench magnetic
    penetrant and tapped on the bolts lightly
    with the end of the ratchet.

After that I filled the threaded holes with anti-sieze compound until I put the exhaust on this saturday.

Ooooh....Look ma, no pipes at all!!!

And I didn't even break one exhaust bolt!!!!

I guess these help the exhaust to fit more snug. Will I need them for the new MAC exhaust?

And now the old exhaust is packed up and ready for pick-up.

What a successful evening!

Dm of mD

The Mac was already on my GS450, and it did not have any of those spacers on it. Of course, that does not mean they shouldn't be there, but since the bike was mostly in a box in pieces...

Kurt

Comment

That's what I was thinking.
      I'm sure that whatever imperfection suzuki made with the stock exhaust,
      it has been taken care of with the MAC exhaust's design.

Dm of mD

Comment

8O the pics are resized!!!

Comment

You need those spacers for the MAC? Where did you get them?

Comment

I have a feeling someone made those spacers to fit an '83 up 700 or 750 exhaust which had a smaller port diameter. '85 700 was chrome and looked alot like the Suzuki part in your photos.

Comment

asChessla, no you don't need those spacers for the mac exhaust.

Billy, Wow...your database of knowledge is astounding!
              So you mean to tell me that this probably isn't the stock 1981 gs750L exhaust!?!?!
              Man-o-man...I don't know what to think now.
              It was modified before i even started modifying it...go figure!

:P
              Dm of mD

Comment

I have a MAC & hate the gap between the mounting flange & the head... I wish there was a way to cover that space up...

Comment

Detman, my GS1100GK comes stock with those spacers for the two center pipes. I had to order new ones from Ron Ayers because the old ones were so rusted up. What are you going to do with the old pipes that you took off? Mine are rusted really bad right where they go into the head and I'm wondering if those would work :roll: :roll: if you're going to sell them, would you mind measuering them right where they go into the head and letting me know. Thanks

Comment

D George,

I will do a measurement tonight when I get home but I'm not 100%
                    sure on what you want me to measure.
                    Do you mean the spacing between the pipes?
                    Or do you mean the spacing from somewhere else?

Someone else has offered to buy them from me already. I haven't
                    heard back from them but i'm giving them until this saturday.
                    I will then offer the pipes to you.

Dm of mD

Comment

One question folks.

How come the mac header requires these gaskets that came with it?
                      The stockers didn't seem to have any exhaust gasket in there?

:?
                      Dm of mD

Comment

They should have had exhaust gastkets on the stock pipes. Either they were left out or they are still stuck in your port.

Comment

Hey Detman thanks, the measurements I would need are the three identified in the photo, just want to make sure they would work on the 1100. And Swanny is right about the gaskets, there should have been some in there. Double check and make sure that they aren't stuck up in there, I tried to tell from the photos but couldn't be sure.[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwC5AncVTQipIOAx8H7wTEIdEbOvrmCWKFURa4ibpPGRCFo2i 5t6sm3rp3b0tGqqBbLmZnHNqVW16QHGOCZs5VNCF1q!GK*Wr*U Ai4hp7iY/pipes.JPG?dc=4675476866565851863[/img]

Comment

Re: Ratbike Chronicles - Exhaustectomy with no complications

Originally posted by Detman101
                            Ooooh....Look ma, no pipes at all!!!

Dm of mD
                            Wow, ah' likes yo' bike man. 'S coo', bro. ah' wanna do sump'n simular wid mah' 1100G. But ah' won't gots dat sissy bar on mah' bike, I'm no sissy. Slap mah fro! Is you goin' t'put any kind'a some cafe fairin' on dere? If so's I'd be interested t'know whut ya' is goin' wid.

Is yo' brakes baaaad enough on dat t'do stoppies?

Butch

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny
                              They should have had exhaust gastkets on the stock pipes. Either they were left out or they are still stuck in your port.
                              Hmmm...thanks Swanny. I'll take a look inside the ports before I install the new ones.

:?
                              Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                              X