BRAKE LIGHT - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BRAKE LIGHT - HELP

Just got an 82 gl650gl, and am having trouble - as you all know the brake/tailight are the same bulb (meaning one bulb only). The tailight works but when pressing the brakes - the brake light wont? Where do I start to diagnosis for repair. Quite handy and not exactly stupid. . .just lost at this time. Any and all help would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance - zuesdawg

Will neither brake activate the light?

Comment

Brake light switch could be unplugged or need adjusting. It's located near the pivot for the brake pedal. It has a spring on it that attaches at some point to the pedal. It just screws in and out for adjustment.

Comment

brake light

neither brake control will cause the brake light to come on. But once again. . .I do have tailights. . .I'll try that at lunch billyricks.. thanks so far

Comment

Front switch design leaves alot to be desired. It's touchy and hard to get it to work right. Once you do for how long is another story.

Comment

one bulb

True, there's only one bulb but it has two filiments, basically two bulbs in one package. Look at the bottom of the bulb and there should be two terminals, one for each function, the ground is thru the brass sides of the bulb.
            As far as diagnosis goes, get hold of a multimeter or a test light and see if there's any voltage at the contacts. You should have voltage with the ignition on at one terminal all the time, the taillight and voltage at the other with the brake on.
            If there's none at the brake light circuit you either have a blown fuse, bad switch, busted wire etc.
            Post back when you've done some more lookin' around...Mike

Comment

Did you change the bulb? If so, were the contracts clean?

Comment

now here's the stupid question. . . where's the fuse? and which one? assume its under the seat

Comment

Here is what happened to me,
                  I thought my brake light did not work, but come to find out it was on all the time, i had to add some slack in the foot switch to turn the brake light off.

Comment

First thing to check is the connectors located behind the lamp.

The wires run along the rear fender, and can get snagged as they go into the lamp. Had this a couple of weeks ago on my GK.

If that does not do it, the meter is the best thing to use, Check along the circuit until you find the break/fault.
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

all fixed up, thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Comment

So don't leave us hanging Zues ... what was the problem??

Thanks,
                        Steve 8)

Comment

stupid me did not have the brake pressure switch adjusted correctly
                          :roll:

Comment

Whew! I almost fell off, I was hanging so long!!

Thanks for the update!

Steve 8)

Comment

Working...
                            X