GS 450L replacement tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 450L replacement tires

I am new to motorcycling and I am trying to replace the rotted out tires on my bike. What sizes can I put on and what is a good cost effective tire for this bike? the stock sizes are 3.60x19 and 4.60x16 it looks like 100/90-19 Front and 120/90-16 Rear are the sizes converted into metric. I have been having a real hard time finding these sizes and was wondering if a 110/90-19 Front and a 130/90-16 Rear will fit?

Thanks ahead of time,
    Jake

Re: GS 450L replacement tires

My 450L calls for a 90/90-19 on the front. I haven't had much trouble finding these in common brands (bridgestone, dunlop etc). THe rear however is another matter entirely. The only thing I could source locally was a Kenda Challenger and these are crappy tires!

Apparently Pirelli makes the City Demon in our size. But I've been unable to get one locally (yes I do live in the middle of nowhere)

As for trying a 130/90-16. There's not much room on mine with the stock tire fitted and the rim's skinny at 2.15 inches - so I don't know how well it would fare with wider rubber.

Sam

Originally posted by MrMadDog69
    I am new to motorcycling and I am trying to replace the rotted out tires on my bike. What sizes can I put on and what is a good cost effective tire for this bike? the stock sizes are 3.60x19 and 4.60x16 it looks like 100/90-19 Front and 120/90-16 Rear are the sizes converted into metric. I have been having a real hard time finding these sizes and was wondering if a 110/90-19 Front and a 130/90-16 Rear will fit?

Thanks ahead of time,
    Jake

Comment

What do you think about this tire set? http://www.conti-online.com/generato...h23_24_en.html
      I found a decent price on the at http://store.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/2,4112.html
      Jake

Comment

I've never used these personally, but I've never heard anything bad said about them either. Give them a try and let the forum know how well they work out.

Sam

Originally posted by MrMadDog69
        What do you think about this tire set? http://www.conti-online.com/generato...h23_24_en.html
        I found a decent price on the at http://store.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/2,4112.html
        Jake

Comment

Continental sizes tend to run large. A Conti 120 is wider than, for instance, an Avon 130. Of course that varies from design to design, and I haven't seen them all by any means.

If you are concerned about space, I would stick with a 120/90.

I don't think you would be disappointed, they are excellent tires designed for older/heavier sport bikes. I'm running a set of Conti-Tour and they have an outstanding ride quality.

Guder

Comment

The 110 is too big! Go with the 90/90X19. Your bike will handle lots better.
            Stay with the 120/90X16 rear, too. The 130 will probably rub your brake stay rod (well, it does on my 550). Continentals are excellent tires. I used to use them on my Yamahas many moons ago.

Now, Jake you state that you're new to motorcycling. Did you take the MSF course or other training? You're springing for some excellent tires but don't go out and play road racer to test them out! I'm leaving the pulpit now. You have my blessing bro' go have fun safely! :roll:

Comment

OK, maybe this is information overkill, but I pulled up some specs for you.

On the TKH 23 Conti-Blitz (front) actual in-service section width vs. size is as follows (will vary slightly by rim width):

3.25-19 (90/90-19)----- 102mm
              100/90-19----------------111mm
              110/90-19----------------120mm

For TKH 24 Conti-Blitz (rear):

120/90-16----------------131mm
              130/90-16----------------142mm

I didn't run the conversions to inches, I just reformatted my computer a few nights ago and don't have the software handy.

Guder
              Information junkie.

Comment

Thanks to everyone, I will stick to the stock sizes and try to get a name brand tire, probably the Continental but they are not yet available. Yes thanks, I did in fact take the motorcycle safety course at the local community college and was not planning on doing anything other than safe riding, I want to enjoy this GS not regret it.

Comment

If the Blitz aren't available, the Conti Ultra are actually designed as a sportbike tire for older machines (the Blitz are a cruising/sport-touring tire). If you don't get too agressive, the Tour are incredibly smooth riding, high mileage tires for about 20% more cost.

I mention the agressive riding part because the smooth ride is at the expense of some of the road feedback. Freaked me out when I first put them on because cornering felt like the front tire wasn't making contact with the road. It took me two days to figure out why it didn't feel right, and they were ok after that.

Guder

Comment

After much thought I went with the Dunlop 100/90/19 D404 front and the 130/90/16 D404 rear and they fit and look and feel great! No rubbing what so ever and they have a good price at $65 each. The local shop couldn't get the other tires I was looking at and they did free mounting and balance with tire purchase. I will update everyone once I put a few careful miles on them. I really appreciate everyone?s help, you are a great group!

Comment

Working...
                    X