Name That Plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Name That Plug

I read somehwere in these forums that a lean condition can really harm you engine and burn a piston, so it scared me a little. I had a hole in a piston on my boat motor (IO). Not fun!!!!

I've read and searched, but haven't seen exactly this yet. The bike I just got seems to "Slightly" backfire when decel off of high rpm. ie.... today I was about 5000-6000 rpms in 3rd gear, when traffic stopped and I had to let off, I could hear some backfiring. My question is that since I have 1 broken exhaust bolt on the #3 pipe, could this be causing that type of noise?
    I've read articles about plug color and rich vs. lean, but everyone of them it seemed that the bike didn't run well. This thing runs like a scalded dog. It starts right up, and at operating temp I range from about 180 to 210 deg. I do have to run choke for about 5 minutes after I leave, but that seems normal. It idles at about 1400 rpm, and at times it will slightly increase, then decrease, but not real noticeable. When it's at about 190 to 210 deg, it idles fine. It runs the same when cold, or at temp.
    I changed the plugs shortly after I got it, and compared to what I know (don't laugh) they looked extremely good. They are just a slight tan, but to me they had no oil or black hairy's at all. I thought this was great, but now I want to make sure I'm not running lean and could harm my engine over time. What I've read here, it's sounds ok, althoug I heard that coffee color is good, but WHO's coffee? I drink black, the grinds of my coffee are dark brown? Then I heard slight tan? This thing has 35,500 miles on it.

Anyway, here is a link to a digital photo of my plug, hope you can see it well enough. I'm just looking for reassurrance that I'm not running too lean to damage the motor.

Thanks for the help and hopefully the reassurance.

Dave

Looks ok to me.

Comment

Dave if you want a good comparison guide to be able to judge for yourself you can go here http://www.dansmc.com/Spark_Plugs/Sp...s_catalog.htmlif your on dial up it may take a while to load, but it is a very comprehensive chart of plugs to go by.

Comment

Awesome plug sight. Thank you very much. I'm in the good range. I can deal with that. Just worried about that lean condition, doesn't appear that I have one. Now I can rock -n- roll in peace. :twisted: :twisted:

Should I be concerned about the slight backfiring? I think it sounds pretty MEATY. I feel it may be the exhaust. Not overly concerned, just curious.

Thanks

Dave

Comment

Dave,

Yes, if you have an exhaust leak (and a broken manifold bolt can surely cause that) you can get backfiring in the exhaust due to cold air being sucked in at the leak..

Nothing to worry about I've heard, as long as its not major.

If you like the sound, go with it

Comment

That plug is fine, I wouldnt worry anymore about it.

Earl
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Your plug looks good. You're probably sucking in a little air at the exhaust port, causing the back firing. On some modern bikes, the factorys install a "pair" valve (smog pump), and it deliberately injects air into the same place. It also causes backfiring on decelleration, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Comment

Great news.
                Thanks once again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                X