Black plastic bits in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black plastic bits in oil

First, thanks to all for posting answers to most of my questions before I asked them myself.
    I have an '82 GS1100 I'm trying to revive with some success. However, today I found black plastic bits in the crankcase oil.
    I have not been able to ride it much as I'm still sorting out all the problems. It seems noisey in the cases to me, but I've no example for comparison.
    What could it be? What's the fix?

You say noisy and black plastic? sounds to me like one or both of the cam chain guides got britttle and broke.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
      You say noisy and black plastic? sounds to me like one or both of the cam chain guides got britttle and broke.
      Good call.

Comment

Guides....

Comment

Kind of thought it had to be. So my patient is a rebuild cadidate?
          Anyone know of a good shop near here?

Comment

I'll have to agree with the guides. If you have any mechanical apptitude you should be able to do the job yourself.

Comment

I'm not mechanically inept, but this would be a first for me and Clymers does not inspire cofidence as a guide.

Comment

You may surprise yourself and be able to fix this. If you take it to a mechanic it's gonna cost you a fair amount of money.

I think you will find there are plenty of folks in here that can help with advise. Most of it is pretty good too.

Comment

Bruce VanSant has the one time and final fix for gs cam chain guides..Look over at Van Sant Enterprises..He has a link in the dragbike.com classifieds.
                  EULC ON

Comment

Just be careful taking things apart and don't force anything. Read the manual or get better one if you need to. Take pictures as you go and be methodical and organized and you might be surprised at how it goes. Even if you have to buy a few tools it'll be cheaper than getting someone else to do it and the next project won't intimidate you as much. A friend of mine years ago wouldn't even do his own tune ups. I showed him a few small tips and now years later he has a collection of ten or so vintage bikes that he has restored himself. So don't sweat it and take your time. Look at it as new learning experience. If you get stuck there's always the GSResourses crowd.
                    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
                    https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

I'm impressed with the support here on the site.
                      Thing is, I'm still freshly bummed as this problem just came to light.
                      And I don't know yet for instance what tools and parts I'm going to need.
                      I'm not broke, but cash is an issue. Should I lay out for more tools I hopefully won't need again soon or for (hopefully again) expertise?
                      I need more to go on than I've got right now.

Comment

If you decide to try it yourself, you should tell us what tools you do have and we can make some recommendations.

Sandy has good advise - be prepared. You will need to read and reread the manual. Be organized and take things apart slowly. Inspec all the parts and replace those that are defective.

Oh, and gsbill is right about those chain guides. I bought some myself - I love 'em.

I tell all my friends that if you want an old bike or car, you better become a mechanic. If you take them into a shop it will cost you more to own one in the long run than just getting new.

Comment

Thanks guys. You've got me rolling on my first task; Research. I'll post a new topic for this and continue there.

Comment

Do the work yourself and spend the money on tools. You'll certainly need them anyway, with a bike this old. The gratification level is quite high and you'll feel so good about yourself you'll have a huge smile on your face eevrytime someone compliments your bike. I know I do.

Besides, to have someone else do it will cost you much more than the tools. You can get a nice complete set of tools from Costco or Sams Club for around $60.

Comment

If you just have a few flecks of plastic as opposed to lots of chunks of rubbery material in you oil drain pan and your cam chain is not slappng and rattling...your engine will probably live many many miles with things the way they are. I get those flecks on both bikes. My Connie was a Garage Queen when I bought her and only has 28K on the clock. The engine is still tight. The 550 is coming up on 78K and is getting a little long in the tooth.

Comment

Working...
                              X