No announcement yet.

Black plastic bits in oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you do the work yourself I'd recommend trying to find a Suzuki factory service manual, they come from time to time on ebay and at used book stores.

Used together with the clymers if you take your time you shouldn't run into too many problems.........

at least none that the fellas on this board can't help with.

As for tools, I tend to buy 'em when I need 'em, cause they will undoubtebly be useful either on your current ride, or on a different one later on.

Satch

Comment

The bits in question vary from tiny flecks to chuncks about 3/8" x 1/8" in size. And they seem to be proliferating.

Comment

Originally posted by bantamangeltx
        The bits in question vary from tiny flecks to chuncks about 3/8" x 1/8" in size. And they seem to be proliferating.
        Bad news, that. I'd say guides, too.

Comment

I was not at all clear about tools in my earlier post.
          I have the basics covered for the most part.
          The Clymer manuel says replacing the guides is dealer work and "special tools" are needed. Are there indeed "special tools" required? I don't know how much wieght to give these statments. I've already torn into things Clymer says not to and the Earth has not shifted in its orbit.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
            You say noisy and black plastic? sounds to me like one or both of the cam chain guides got britttle and broke.
            There are actually three cam chain guides. The most probable one is the one that is used to control cam chain tightness ( long one on the intake side) Fortunately it is fairly easy to replace. www.aperaceparts.com has a replacement one that is very strong and will last for ever. The material used to make these guides is quite hard, and you said that the pieces in your oil were rubbery??

Comment

Pieces are hard black plastic. Not rubbery at all.

Comment

They are talking about valve guides. The cam chain guides require no special tools. Yes, there are three of them and as was stated the one that is probably going is the one on the back of the engine. I think I paid maybe $35 for my new heavy duty one.

Comment

If its the rear cam chain guide it may be possible to replace it with only removing the cams?? At worst removing the head. I then would pull the oil pan and clean the screen on the oil pump for sure. That should take no more than half day.

Comment

I do believe the head has to come off. If the compression is ok (test it before disassembly) you can probably get away without pulling the cylinders. This is kinda touchy as the cylinder base gasket is notorious for leaking and this may be a good time to replace it.

Yes, I would definitely pull the pan and clean the screen.

Comment

Working...
                    X