Help with 1150 Starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with 1150 Starter clutch

Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:52 pm Post subject: Help with 1150 Starter clutch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok heres the situation, I bought an 85 gs 1150 no starter clutch on it. Bought a used unit from Richie on the site and had it installed(a shop did it totally different story that Ill get in to later). The bike starts up but it seems the clutch(starter) wont disengage,it spins the starter and whines terribly. Now I dont have the bike here its at the shop and truthfully have come to the realization I dont think they know jack(even longer story lol)
    I talked to the mechanic and he says it all seems fine except a little wear on the end shaft.Like someone grinded away on it a bit but it is VERY hard to tell...Of course he recommends falicon and the teardown etc...My question is for those in the know what do you think? I plan on getting the bike saturday as it is late after I get home.I have checked the back posts but cant seem to find anything that tells me what make sense to me.. Thanks in advance Keith

Sounds like an alignment problem.

Comment

ok so how to fix?

Comment

When installed can you turn the starter clutch in one direction without turning the crank?

Comment

When installed can you turn the starter clutch in one direction without turning the crank?

Comment

Re: Help with 1150 Starter clutch

There isnt much to a starter clutch. All it is ....is a tapered hub that mates to a tapered shaft with a recess in the hub which has three pins and three springs that slide in and out of drilled holes spaced 120 deg apart. As Swanny says, take the left side engine case off. You will see the gear that connects the starter with the clutch. that gear is mounted on a shaft. Grasp the gear with your fingers and it will slide off. The shaft will also slide out easily. Then, with your finger reach behind the stator rotor and you will be able to spin the clutch housing in one direction. It should lock in the opposite direction. If it spins and lock as it should, then there is nothing wrong with it. The starter clutch is mounted to the engine side of the stator. There is a large, round 3 hole shim that must be between the stator and clutch. It will not work if this shim is missing. Torque spec for the 3 mount bolts of the starter clutch is 16-20 ft lbs.

The wrong springs and pins installed in the starter clutch could also cause it to not engage/disengage correctly.

If you decide to fix it yourself, (its really a simple mechanism) you will need a stator removal tool. The 1150 requires a 28 mm deep well stator removal tool (If my memory is correct......check that with your shop if you decide to order the tool) Mine cost $28

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok heres the situation, I bought an 85 gs 1150 no starter clutch on it. Bought a used unit from Richie on the site and had it installed(a shop did it totally different story that Ill get in to later). The bike starts up but it seems the clutch(starter) wont disengage,it spins the starter and whines terribly. Now I dont have the bike here its at the shop and truthfully have come to the realization I dont think they know jack(even longer story lol)
            I talked to the mechanic and he says it all seems fine except a little wear on the end shaft.Like someone grinded away on it a bit but it is VERY hard to tell...Of course he recommends falicon and the teardown etc...My question is for those in the know what do you think? I plan on getting the bike saturday as it is late after I get home.I have checked the back posts but cant seem to find anything that tells me what make sense to me.. Thanks in advance Keith
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
              There isnt much to a starter clutch. All it is ....is a tapered hub that mates to a tapered shaft with a recess in the hub which has three pins and three springs that slide in and out of drilled holes spaced 120 deg apart. As Swanny says, take the left side engine case off. You will see the gear that connects the starter with the clutch. that gear is mounted on a shaft. Grasp the gear with your fingers and it will slide off. The shaft will also slide out easily. Then, with your finger reach behind the stator rotor and you will be able to spin the clutch housing in one direction. It should lock in the opposite direction. If it spins and lock as it should, then there is nothing wrong with it. The starter clutch is mounted to the engine side of the stator. There is a large, round 3 hole shim that must be between the stator and clutch. It will not work if this shim is missing. Torque spec for the 3 mount bolts of the starter clutch is 16-20 ft lbs.

The wrong springs and pins installed in the starter clutch could also cause it to not engage/disengage correctly.

If you decide to fix it yourself, (its really a simple mechanism) you will need a stator removal tool. The 1150 requires a 28 mm deep well stator removal tool (If my memory is correct......check that with your shop if you decide to order the tool) Mine cost $28

Earl

Originally posted by bybowtie

Earl,

Not to confuse the issue but in several instances you refer to the starter clutch as being mounted to the stator or stator rotor. The stator is the non-rotating component of the alternator. The rotor is the part that spins and is attached to the cranckshaft end. The starter clutch is actually installed to the back of the rotor (alternator rotor).

James

Comment

:-) :-) OK, we're talking about the same thing. I'll amend my statement to ...the starter clutch is actually installed to be the back of the stator's rotor.
                Or, we can just say rotor. eh eh eh

Earl

Originally posted by basaraj
                Earl,

Not to confuse the issue but in several instances you refer to the starter clutch as being mounted to the stator or stator rotor. The stator is the non-rotating component of the alternator. The rotor is the part that spins and is attached to the cranckshaft end. The starter clutch is actually installed to the back of the rotor (alternator rotor).

James

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

:-) :-) OK, we're talking about the same thing. I'll amend my statement to ...the starter clutch is actually installed to be the back of the stator's rotor.
                  Or, we can just say rotor. eh eh eh

Earl

Earl,

James
                  The stator does not have a rotor. The alternator has a rotor (and a stator).

I am quibbling but it's important to be correct.

Comment

Youre just mad because I rained on your front brake. :-)

Earl

Comment

Youre just mad because I rained on your front brake. :-)

Earl

Well, perhaps just a little.

Comment

Chuckle :-)

Earl

Well, perhaps just a little.

Comment

Working...
                        X