Research: '82 GS1100 Shaftie Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Research: '82 GS1100 Shaftie Rebuild

I've got an '82 GS1100 with 18k showing on the odometer. It was sitting in a shed for 18 years. I need to tear into it due to cam chain guide disintegration.
    The tools I have at present are very basic. Just sockets, wrenches, pliers and the like. They got me through some of the most common troubles but now I need to get ready to fry a bigger fish.
    I have a Clymer manuel, but would like suggestions for better.
    I also would like to hear suggestions for what to replace that might not be obvious once I get the cases cracked.

Hi, I've got the factory service manuel for the 83 GS1100GK first 4 chapters scanned in to my computer they aren't the best scans due to my manuel being the original from when the bike was bought in 83. So if you need any info from them I'll be happy to send them to you. Or if you want to spend about $70 you can buy one here http://www.repairmanual.com/motorcycles/1982/62/7/5620 I haven't had to split the cases on mine yet, but have redone the top end and you probably have enough tools for that. Most of the cam chain tensioners are accesable with out splitting the cases. So you might want to leave the engine in the bike until you get the head and cylinders off and see if you can repair it with out splitting the cases. You will probably need a valve shim tool to readjust the valves when you put it back together and I would also recommend a pair of ring compressors to put the cylinders back on with. I did mine with just my hands and it is a pain in the you know where. Of course if you have someone to help you it would be a lot easier, because you have to do two pistons at a time. Well if you need any advice I'm not an expert, but I am willing to help any way that I can. Oh and for gaskets you can get a good set at a reasonable price here. http://www.partsnmore.com/PNMSite/Su...e%20Parts.html If you need links for other parts just ask, there are several places to get parts, some more reasonable then others, and not just in price. I tried to buy rings from RonAyers.com and I made the mistake of emailing them a question, they wouldn't give me an answer until I told them what application they were for. When I told them that they were for an 83 all they would say is we don't sell parts for bikes that old, kind of p**sed me off. So I don't deal with them except as a last resort, even though they do have cheaper prices then bike bandit.

Comment

I understand that the top end can be dismantled while still on the bike. At the risk of sounding ignorant as I am, how do I get all those bits of the old guides out?
      I was taking for granted that I have to tear it all down to do that.
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I don't know if this would work or not, but I would try flushing it out with kerosene or desiel fuel, hey if it doesn't work you can still take the rest of the motor out and split the cases. And it would be a lot easier to get out with out the heads and cylinders on it. Just some food for thought.

Comment

Working...
        X