NON-Starter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NON-Starter

Got myself a problem. Looking for help. Got a beautiful 78 GS850. The one with the kickstart. It has been stood for a couple of months. Now it will not fire at all. It has never been a good starter if it has been stood for more than a week. So I do not think it is petrol that has gone off. It is not even trying. It spins over fine and I can usually start it on the kickstarter. But no chance at the moment. I have had new Boyer electronic ignition fitted last year and ran fine with that but did not cure bad starting. Checked the spark with plug against earth and I have a very weak white spark. Petrol is getting through.
    Anybody out there got any ideas?

Cheers. Jim {Manchester. UK]

starter

Begin by making sure your battery is in good condition and fully charged. Sounds like the battery is loosing charge when bike is not being run regularly. Even with kick starter, the engine needs a good strong spark to get going.

Comment

definately check the battery/ make sure it is charging, If the battery is more than two years old I would replace it. I would also clean the run/stop switch, clean coil connections to make sure that you are getting good voltage to the coils. I had 79GS1000 simaller bike many years ago. If it sat for a few days I could crank it till the battery was dead and it wouldn't start when cold, if I hooked up jump battery it would start right up. Replaced the battery, fixed the problem. With any GS turn the lights off so that there is not extra load on the battery and put it in netrual so the clutch will not drag,give it full choke, NO throtle. then try to start it.

Comment

RE-Non Starter

Thanks for the info. I have tried to start it with a jump from the car. Still no luck. Tried new and different batteries. Nothing. Coil connections checked. Nothing. Just turns over real fast. Does not even attempt to start.

Help!
        Jim.

Comment

Remove the air filter cover, and give it a shot of starting fluid. If it starts, or trys to start, you have a fuel problem. If it still doesn't even try to start, you have an ignition problem...

Comment

Working...
          X