an auto question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

an auto question

You guys/gals have helped me a lot with my bike problems, I hope nobody minds an auto question as it is a real puzzler.

1996 ford aerostar van. 96,000 kms. all wheel drive. fully loaded.

I had the Ford place where I bought it when it was a year old replace a cyl head due to a small crack. (apparently this is common on these vans)

also replaced were the rocker arm assemblies, push rods, both head gaskets and all the other little gaskets involved.

as soon as I got it back I noticed it ran worse than when I dropped it off. At 60 kmh it misses like a bugger. I took it back right away. After much looking it was discovered that when the egr valve is unplugged it runs fine.

the egr was replaced, both control boxes, new plugs, wires, engine vac was done, all vac leaks were looked for and everything short of tearing it down again. All work was done by licenced ford mechanics and all computer readings are within specs.

This has been going on since JANUARY. They have had thre van in 12 times since the origional job and have spoken to the techies at the Ford plant back east. All to no avail.

I would just like to say the ford people have treated me well, always a free loaner and am not charging for their screw up.

cheers, karl

I dont know if you have the same laws as we do, but in the US we have those lemmon laws, if the cars been in the shop so many times, and isnt fixed, they replace it. Your auto is still pretty new, but I don't know what years that runs to, or if it even applies.

Comment

Talk to the dealer about replacing your spark plug wires.

They are expensive (mine were $125 for a 94 Cougar V-8)

They just might have a used set sitting around that you can swap with and see if it makes a difference before you make the investment in new ones.

If you buy new wires, use original Ford equipment, and be careful of the routing. Ford guarantees their replacement wires for as long as you own the car.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

easy problem!
        you said that when they disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR it runs fine?
        that is the clue, have they made sure that they hooked the vacuum lines up correctly (sounds stupid but it happens)
        the ECM controls the EGR through a solenoid that it energizes when conditions are right.

if the EGR is opening at the wrong time, the check engine light should come on, is it?
        has the dealer driven the van with a portable scan tool with "snap shot" capabilities. with one of those, they can get it to do what it does and they just hit one button and it takes a snap shot of the ECM data list.

they also need to check the fuel pressure at that speed, a weak fuel pump can show odd symptoms at certain speed but not anyplace else.

my money is on the vacuum lines being hooked up incorrectly, they would have to be disconnected to change the head, and with a aerostar it is very difficult to track lines and get them on right.

Comment

hey gang, new ford plug wires $180.00 were installed to try to fix the prob.

The mechanics have gone through about a tank of gas driving it with all these portable cumputer gizmos giving readings etc. I mentioned the vacuum leak thing to them and they swear it's all tight.

it is very weird it runs puurrfect except when you hit 57-62 kmh on a flat smooth stretch and then ever so lightly on the gas pedal will cause the stumbling. every gasket above the pistons was changed. It NEVER did this before having the head redone. I think they are gonna have to tear it down again.

when the egr is unplugged the check engine light does come on. :roll:

Comment

more than likely

If it runs fine with the egr vacum line unplugged and blocked you should be getting a soft code wth a lean_ rich flag code, this means that the egr valve is trying to cool the combustion camber temp due to a lean mixture, by dumping a dilluted mixture back in to the intake, on my ranger it has been a prolem but it is the filter its self that swells and cuts down flow, I change it and the problem stops for about a year. needless to say the fuel filter has been discontinued and superceeded to the next
            year

Comment

Working...
            X