Quick Electronic Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Electronic Check

I just got the bike (1984 Suzuki GS550ES), the charging system is shot, and it wont start on a bump. I wanted to turn it over while jumping it with my car, but the starter wont crank either, but all the display lights work.

Quick questions:

1. Does the head light have a switch or does it just turn on when the motors running? Mines not on.

2. What has to be done for the starter to turn over? neutral, with the clutch in, and "run/off" switch on run? The connections that I can see look fine, and the guy said before he parked it about 2 years ago, the starter worked. I will have to look at it with a volt meter i guess.

3. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the bikes, or do I just have to get a manual?

I just looked over the bike again, and it seems the headlight only works occasionally when one of the other ground wires touch the battery, I secured it down better, and it turned on. The starter still didnt work, but i just touched a jumper cable attached directly to the positive on the battery to the starter relay deal. It turned over, but the head light went back out :\ I checked for spark when i turned it over again, but nothing. Im guessing the switch on the handle bar is bad? .. like the whole unit? If the Run/Off switch is on off, there is no spark right?

All the fuses are good, so im still wondering about the headlight too.. i probably burned something out

Thanks for any responces.

jake

Comment

check www.smokeriders.com for wiring diagram

Comment

That helps a lot. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
        X