No announcement yet.

The Saga continues....now on to the Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well the poping has not changed (louder or more freakntly) since i replaced the crossover pipe with 2 little straight bypass pipes, and i will check the caps tommarow.

A friend also said the poping could be lean, all the plugs were new and the conditions looked the same light white on the tab, one person told me that was normal, another said lean.

I will get back with what the caps are like and then go to the carbs next.

Thanks Alot
    Lennie

Comment

White is too blasted lean. Trust me on this. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by KartingBuzz

A friend also said the poping could be lean, all the plugs were new and the conditions looked the same light white on the tab, one person told me that was normal, another said lean.

Thanks Alot
      Lennie
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I just had to check it, tonight.

I pulled the caps off of the 1&4 coil ends and got 9k from the 1 and could not get a reading from the other(it tried, but was around 300k :? )
        And without the ends, I was getting around 19+ ohms on the coil.

Lennie

Edit: Thanks for letting me know it is too lean.

Comment

replace the spark plug caps. I assume you mean you are getting 19K ohms on the bare spark plug wires.

Earl

I just had to check it, tonight.

I pulled the caps off of the 1&4 coil ends and got 9k from the 1 and could not get a reading from the other(it tried, but was around 300k :? )
          And with out the ends, I was getting around 19+ ohms.

Lennie

Edit: Thanks for letting me know it is too lean.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

ya 19k Ohms

Comment

Ya, plug caps are kaput!

ya 19k Ohms

Comment

Ok...what ARE the spark plug caps...

When I did the 30k resistance test I just set the multimeter on the 1k resistance, pulled the wires of 1 and 4 off the spark plug, then put one probe into the 1st wire boot and one into the 4th wire boot (making sure both probes contacted the metal inside). With that it went to ~29 so I read that as 29k. Did I do this right or am I absolutely dumb?

Comment

Plug caps/plug boots........the rubber or black plastic boots/caps that go over the spark plug end,

Earl

Originally posted by DDMan
                  Ok...what ARE the spark plug caps...

When I did the 30k resistance test I just set the multimeter on the 1k resistance, pulled the wires of 1 and 4 off the spark plug, then put one probe into the 1st wire boot and one into the 4th wire boot (making sure both probes contacted the metal inside). With that it went to ~29 so I read that as 29k. Did I do this right or am I absolutely dumb?

Comment

well i replaced the spark plug caps on all of them(too be safe, since the others were alittle high too) and both coils gave the same reading in the Good Zone, and it now idles better and is more responsive. Still hear alittle popping as i'am going down the road and letting off the gas.

Now for the lean condition, how do i adjust the jetting to richen it up alittle?
                    1982 suzuki gs-850glz

thanks
                    Lennie

Comment

Before dealing directly with the lean condition, I would suggest balancing the Carbs. Once you have that done, check the plugs again for the desirable tan brownish colour... if you have the light white'ish LEAN colour after balancing, then would be a good time to adjust jets...

Comment

How many inches of mercury (vacuum) are your carbs now drawing when the engine is at 1200 rpm?

Earl

well i replaced the spark plug caps on all of them(too be safe, since the others were alittle high too) and both coils gave the same reading in the Good Zone, and it now idles better and is more responsive. Still hear alittle popping as i'am going down the road and letting off the gas.

Now for the lean condition, how do i adjust the jetting to richen it up alittle?
                        1982 suzuki gs-850glz

thanks
                        Lennie

Comment

Don't know, I don't have one to use at this time and will take 2weeks till i get one.

Lennie

Comment

If you search the archives, or just about any search engine, you can make one on your own pretty cheap, a few bucks...
                            $$$

Comment

The problem is, its difficult to fix a problem if you dont know what is causing the problem and for that you must test or measure. Anything else is only a guess and if you guess wrong and adjust something that was already correct, the only thing you have accomplished is to further confuse the situation.

Earl

Don't know, I don't have one to use at this time and will take 2weeks till i get one.

Lennie

Comment

Ok, i will get it and let you know.

Thanks for all the help.

Lennie

Comment

Working...
                                X