larger wheels, how do i go about it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

larger wheels, how do i go about it?

i have a 85 gs 700e and would love to put a larger rear tire/rim on it. something as wide as a gsx-r rear rim, would i have to get a new swing arm, and if so how can i find out what will work. can anybody help me out? thank you.

A 4.5" GSXR wheel will go in with a little work. That's big enough for a 160/60-17" radial. All the tire you need. There are several threads dealing with this mod. Check the performance section. I've done this mod myself.

Here's the bulk of what needs to be done. Just knock out the GSX-R bearings from the wheel and sprocket carrier and install your GS bearings. You will have to use Katana 600 spacers and caliper hanger. You also have to use the bearing spacer from inside the wheel hub from your GS and add a piece of steel tubing to get the same total length as the GS piece. There is a spacer inside the sprocket carrier that needs to be switched out for the Katana piece. The brake torque arm has to be moved to the bottom of the swingarm.

Here's mine.

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0SwCFAoUVshXdkkNRfWQcl0QpSflVo5NKpsUKm5u*7mQFKrzPL osFvOGdK08Q5h!OcjToHHXhLhZduGC686BM*cgFeD6muhXdldk FOqUAIC5hdLDz5U7gnw/HPIM0063.JPG?dc=4675468666498952970[/img]

Comment

Billy has done a nice job with his bike, I am in the process of converting to a 1993 Katana front end and 2001 4.5in wide Katana 750 rear rim. It is best if you can buy the wheels complete with rotors and calipers. I bought an entire rolling chasis-used what I wanted and made all my money back by selling the leftover bits and pieces on ebay. A very simple option is to go with the 85-86 GS1150 rear-it is 3.5in wide and will mount a 140 rear tire nicely. It will match your stock front spoke pattern, and bolt right up using your stock rotors, brake and sprocket/chain. The only mod required is to modify the rear brake torque arm to clear the larger tire. Good Luck, Ed.
      http://groups.msn.com/SuzukiGSGarage...o&PhotoID=3335
      1983 GS750ED

Comment

thank you both for your very detailed information. it has been a big help because i'm looking on ebay for wheels and front end. billy your bike is very nice, good job. and oldschoolgs your project is coming along great. thanks you guys, i will probabaly start this during the winter and after i figure out what i did to motor.

Comment

Working...
        X