Crankcase breather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crankcase breather

Ok, I have pod filters, now what do I do about the smoke that keeps pouring out of the crankcase breather hose? :twisted:

Typically that would be blowby. It means your rings are on the way south. I guess it all depends on how much smoke you are talking about.

Make some compression tests.

Comment

Places like K&N make a breather filter that will fit on the hose

Comment

any automotive crankcase filter that will fit on the hose will work just fine.

Comment

Wouldn't putting on just a filter cause a oily mess? How about a catch tank?

Comment

there should only be the occasional wisp of oily vapor coming from the breather...if you need a catch tank it's time to do the rings and hone cylinders

Comment

Thirded...there should only be the faintest ghost of fog coming out of the breather. I have my hose and filter routed all the way to the rear of the bike. It makes my stoplight look creepy.

Dm of mD

Comment

Yeah, its not very much, so I dont think I have a problem with the rings because the bike runs like a bat outta hell. I Just can smell it every now and then, but I guess that's due to it being right under me. I think I am going to go with Detman's idea of running a hose so that its not under me any more. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                  Places like K&N make a breather filter that will fit on the hose
                  That's what I'm running, and I don't even notice any smoke.
                  Kevin
                  E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                  "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                  Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Working...
                  X