Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought it was a bad clutch...but get this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was a bad clutch...but get this!

For those of you who think you might have a slipping clutch, check this out.

I have an '82 GS1100GK, shaftie of course. It's been a pretty good running bike, strong and always reliable. However, I've noticed that it has this tendency to slip during hard acceleration. Around 5,500-6,000 RPM, the engine will "break away," especially in second or third.

I never complained about it too much - what do I really need to run it that hard for anyway, right? Anyway, today my father and I were going to do a little run out to Skyline Drive (you Virginia area riders know what I'm talking about). We got to a stop sign, and he asked me if the bike was running okay and all. "Sure, let's do it," I said, and we pulled away. Except this time, instead of the usual smooth acceleration, I got this horrendous grinding noise. The GS putzed through the intersection, and my dad pulled around the bend, not realizing that I wasn't just giving him space, but actually couldn't get going.

I called a buddy and we trailered the bike back to the house. We did some diagnostics on it. You could let the clutch out in any gear, and nothing would happen. No wheel spinning, nada, zip, not even grinding. So I took the clutch cover off, and thinking of all the grinding and the sudden failure, I expected to find a clutch that had literally exploded. But lo and behold, the clutch was in great shape! I miked it, and it was well within spec. There was no way this thing was slipping.

We did some other tests, including backing the boot off of the u-joint, and placing a wrench on one of the bolts to lock the shaft. Then, we tried to turn the rear wheel, and it did, in fact, turn. This meant that the problem had to be rear of where the u-joint bolted up; either the u-joint itself, the splines between the shaft and the rear drive, or the rear drive box, I thought.

Well, we took it all apart. U-joint was fine. Splines were fine. We tried to move the final drive around with the wheel on the ground, locking the input splines with a spare drive shaft. We couldn't get it to turn - which left us pretty confused. It had slipped before, we thought, so why was it now engaged?

In an effort to do some visual examination, we took the final drive unit off. That was when the problem became obvious. There was metal dust all over in there - it looked like a brake drum. The teeth on the Rear Joint Assembly (part no. 14 in the Rear Wheel diagram on BikeBandit) were almost totally worn away, except about a 1/16" of material on the very outside edge, which we presume the teeth on the final drive didn't touch because when the whole wheel assembly was compressed within the bike, the teeth were pushed in past that point. When we'd taken the wheel off, the final drive unit came out a little bit - enough to engage with the 1/16" of normal gear tooth left, which explained why we couldn't turn it on the ground.

Suddenly, the powerband slippage made sense. It wasn't my clutch letting loose - it was the little bit of friction holding that rear wheel joint together giving up, and the final drive teeth spinning loose and progressively shaving down the Rear Joint Assy. teeth, until one day it had just had it.

I know that's a long story, but I thought it would be worth sharing with you all. When the 50,000th GS newbie comes along complaining of mysterious clutch slippage, you might point him/her in this direction. I don't really need any help from the experts here...I pretty much know what to do.

There is one thing, though...Any ideas for alternatives to paying BikeBandit an exorbitant $115 for one of these bits? I feel like paying that much for this chunk, I might as well have an encounter with a bandit. Is remachining a reasonable option? Or does anyone, I dunno, have one laying around they'd like to sell?

Happy riding, gang. I'll be on the road with you again shortly, I hope.

-Dominic

AH!!!! the good old drive spline failure, this is a problem that is mainly found on the later model shafties, for some odd reason Suzuki changed the formulation of the metal it is made from and the results is premature failure.
    there is a very easy fix to keep it from happening, you coat the splines with a good quality water proof marine grease, you can use any automotive grease but marine grease holds up better to exposure to water.
    dry the spline vibrate or rub against each other and it grinds the wheel side splines away, a coat of grease prevents it from happening.

the drive splines (joint) on earlyer model shafties was made from better material and they did not have this problem.
    it is still a good idea to coat them also.

you can use a wheel from a earlyer model.

Comment

Very interesting issue! I have an '83 1100G that had the same problem (slippage under heavy acceleration at high RPM's), and when I changed the clutch (several weeks ago) the original discs didn't look that bad.

Just the same, putting new discs in and especially the new stiff springs worked like a charm, so my clutch must really have been slipping. Perhaps the discs were ok but the springs were shot, because the new "feel" of the clutch is significantly stiffer than before (I DID NOT use heavy duty replacements -- shop recommended against them for road use).

I will more than likely apply marine grease this winter when we begin wrenching in earnest again, but for now it would seem that all is well.

Regards,
      Steve 8)

Comment

you can use a wheel from a earlyer model.
        focusfrenzy: Would a wheel/hub from a chain drive GS1100 work?

Comment

has to be from a "G" shaft drive there is usually a rear wheel for a GS850 on ebay at a reasonable price

Comment

Is remachining a reasonable option?
            From a Machinist poit of view, if you are talking about re-machining the gear/spline, it takes special equipment. That's all I can help here.

P.S. Thought shafties were much better than chain.... :twisted: :twisted:

Just kidding. I've had both......I liked my shaftie (Honda)

Comment

CHAINS RULE!!!

Comment

I love the way the "Chain Gang" jumps at any opportunity to toot their own horns ... of course they MUST go out of their way, seeing as shafts fail so infrequently by comparison! :twisted:

S mooth
                H ardly needs attention
                A lways ready to ride
                F east your eyes on a nice clean mechanical system
                T akes few brain cells to see it's the best!!

C hallenging to keep clean
                H as to be adjusted regularly
                A ggravating when it breaks or falls off
                I traded mine for a shaftie
                N o brainer ... become a shafted one!

Steve 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy

I will more than likely apply marine grease this winter when we begin wrenching in earnest again, but for now it would seem that all is well.

Regards,
                  Steve 8)
                  If you do lots of riding you might want to check it sooner rather than later. When I pulled my rear wheel off last year to get a new tire I was concerned by the amount of wear there was on the gear with only 14K on the bike. Cleaned up the meatal shavings and coated with marine grease but I suspect once the wear has started the damage has been done. I just hope it lasts until the next tire replacement ...

Comment

S low
                    H ardly any power
                    A lways slow
                    F orget any performance
                    T ry to go fast but still very slow

C lean and efficient
                    H as more power
                    A lways easy to maintain
                    I s first on race day
                    N ice with a fairing and other old man's bike gear

:-({|=

Comment

I really hate to hear it was the splines.Mine did the same thing.We looked at it a few months ago at the local bike shop while I was getting new tires mounted and it looked good.But I only ran it this hard after the new tires.I hope it's just my clutches.I don't plan on rideing it that hard anyway.I just wanted to see what it would do now that I had gotten rid of the 23 year old tires that were on it and it was more than I have the skill (or balls)to handle.

Comment

service

Bad news folks this is common on many makes of bikes hondas yammy's and yes your favorite, dispite some peoples claim that one type drive is better than another they all requirer service, the shaftys should have the splines greased every 8k or so,

Comment

Just in case you're wondering how this turned out... I won an auction for a '79 wheel on ebay - actually, the one SqDancerLynn1 linked me to. I'm hoping the seller will get it to me quickly so I can get back on the road.

As far as the ol' shaftie/chain debate goes... I had no idea my post would turn into that kind of debate! This kind of failure probably could have happened on either drive type, since this was really a failure of the wheel and not the driveline itself.

For my two cents, I think shaft is the way to go for most around-town riding, if no other reason than that when it fails, you stand a much smaller chance of having an five pound chain whip into your leg.

Comment

Try Cycle-parts.com They are bike bandits big brother with cheaper parts. Minimum order 100usd.

Comment

Originally posted by 80gs1000e
                              S low
                              H ardly any power
                              A lways slow
                              F orget any performance
                              T ry to go fast but still very slow

C lean and efficient
                              H as more power
                              A lways easy to maintain
                              I s first on race day
                              N ice with a fairing and other old man's bike gear

:-({|=
                              Gee Dom, even with my slipping clutch you seemed to have trouble keeping up!

Don't you have some sanding to do?? 8O

Just kidding buddy!

By the way, Dom (Dom and his GS), Domino and I are just razzin each other. Each drive system has its place ... right now I own one of each (not counting the shaftie parts bike), but I'm gonna stick with the shaft in the long term.

Regards,
                              Steve

PS I'll make it a point to check the splines sooner rather than later, but this bike has over 50K miles on it, and the prior owner seemed to be pretty meticulous in his regular maintenance, so I feel pretty comfortable that things are in order overall. Thanks for the suggestion though, Gary!

Comment

Working...
                              X