Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I thought it was a bad clutch...but get this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BOY DID that price go up? 8O Well at least you can get your bike back together. I bought a spare wheel last year w drive gear NO tire/disk for $10.00 for mine
    MAKE SURE to clean the differencial good and use lots of HD chassi grease

Comment

Dom_and_his_GS, can you post a pic of this problem.

I'm trying to figure out where your shaft let go. My 850 does have that little slippage when I come on to it at high revs and like everyone else, I attributed it to clutch slippage.

Just last year I took off the rear wheel and the teeth on the wheel and shaft part were good. Were the teeth on the final drive actually worn down so that the rear wheel couldn't mesh with it?

You mention "part no. 14 in the Rear Wheel diagram on BikeBandit" - do you have a link for this site?

You got me worried now - need pics to confirm where this possible problem stems from.

Thanks,

:?

Comment

The part in question is refered to as joint connector It bolts to the rear wheel, the splines engage the rear drive unit when the wheel is installed

Comment

Thanks SqDancerLynn1, gotcha.

Comment

No digital camera handy, but I'll see if I can get one - this is interesting just because of how long the bike actually worked considering the degree of deterioration.

Go to bikebandit.com, put in your '82 850L as the bike, and look in the "Rear Wheel" section. The part is labelled number 14.

Comment

Dom_and_his_GS

Would be nice to actually see the damage and the exact part that let go.

Went to bikebandit.com and keyed in GS850L and clicked on Real Wheel and the schematic is not showing part #14.

No rush, whenever you get the chance - post the pics. - don't go to any bother just for me - I might be able get a better schematic somewhere else on the net.

Here's the link at bikebandit.com that I went to.

http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit..._name=GS850GLZ

Comment

That's strange that the schematic is cut off like that...I figured they'd use the same file for the 850GL as the 1100GK. Part 14 (it's in the list as Joint Assembly) is the one that's cut off on the very right. I'll try to get a pic sometime soon.

Comment

I found the teeth on mine 50% worn while rebuilding my 850. I was suprized because the bike only had 16K on it. Got a new one at the dealer for $110. Will definetly make this an anual lube item.

Comment

Working...
                  X