starting problems with higher compression- please advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

starting problems with higher compression- please advise

I've just finished my GS7/11 hybrid. It has a 1168cc kitted wiseco katana 11 motor with V&H, pods and stage 3. I've replaced the knackered pistons, rings and block with the Wiseco items after I bought the engine. No probs sofar. When it runs, it really flies, lots of power and smooth running throughout the rev-range :twisted: . But to get it running, oh boy . I've fitted a new stronger battery, but if it doesn't run right after pushing the starter button, forget it. Using only a whiff of choke will stall it immedeatly. Warm engine starting is also touch and go. Checked electrical connections, starter gears, starter motor. All seem ok. I've an ''off'' switch to the lights so that doesn't load the system. Is this normal for an alledged 10,25:1 compression? I'm starting to think that maybe the head was already skimmed as the motor had some work done on it (1mm oversize JE pistons and a welded crank...) So it could have more compr. than I think. Doesn't do any pinking though. PLEASE HELP 8O

When you try to start it, does it just not spin, or is it spinning, but not starting?

Comment

I'm running the same(1166, 10.25 to 1) kit, should be fine, I'd suspect the brushes on your starter need to be replaced, the kit is around $32 for the whole brush plate ass'y.mine was a 2 brush unit, CWND-L, also make sure to lube the bearing at each end when you have it apart, as they do dry up

Comment

It spins, but when it takes too long to fire, the starter motor slows down and it goes too slow to be able to fire it. When you open the throttle a little, or the choke, the resistance becomes too big and it stops dead.

Comment

sounds like dying starter syndrome to me...
          Replace or rebuild the starter.

Dm of mD

Comment

Also check your timing, if it's to far advance past the marks it can slow the cranking too.
            1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
            1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
            1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
            1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
            01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

start

Most likly what the others say but could be high resistance thru the solinoid

Comment

Did you degree your cams?

Comment

Nope, did not degree the cams, checked the ignition with the rebuild, is OK. I've got an 8valve GS750 starter motor lying around and it probably will have the same brush array. Will measure the resistance in the relay, thanks guys!

Comment

Starting problems with high compression

I had a similar problem until I installed a much heavier ground cable from the battery. Fires right up, now.

Comment

Working...
                    X