Cant find 1st gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant find 1st gear.

Gudday fellow GS/GSX owners. I am having trouble finding first gear, it seems that when I try for first nothing happens, does not select anything below nuetral. 2, 3, 4, 5 are all OK but first is a missing. Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards the Big Fella, grunt@alphalink.com.au

Do you mean while moving, or while sitting still?

On both my 450 and the 250 I used in the safety course I couldn't reliably get the transmission into first if I was sittting still. By releasing the clutch just a little bit (if the engine on) or rolling the bike slightly (engine off) while pushing down on the shifter it would drop into first.

Dave

Comment

Yep. My bikes are like that too. I just keep the pressure on and let the clutch out a little and it drops into gear.

I have also noticed a similar problem going into fifth sometimes. I keep pressure on the lever and I can feel it slipping into gear.

Comment

Originally posted by karl_ibsen
        Yep. My bikes are like that too. I just keep the pressure on and let the clutch out a little and it drops into gear.

I have also noticed a similar problem going into fifth sometimes. I keep pressure on the lever and I can feel it slipping into gear.
        sounds like y'all have some bent shifter forks

for the original question, has anybody else owned or repaired the bike previously? if so they may have left the shifter selection pin out upon reassembly.

this was done on my yammy 550 seca for fifth gear.

Comment

I had the self same problem with a Yam XS750. Upon stripping the box I found a circlip holding first gear cog in place had decided to come detacted and move down the shaft. Apparently this is a common problem with the earlier XS's but I don't know if the GS uses the same sort of layout.

Comment

Working...
          X