Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for 12mm 1.50 pitch bolts grade 10.9 or 12.9

Hey all,

I'm stuck on my rear wheel conversion - I'm using a non Suzuki wheel in a GS1100 aluminum swing-arm on my GS1000. I had the sprocket carrier machined down and now with the wheel centered in the swing-arm and the sprockets aligned, the sprocket studs hit the shock absorber and they are a little close for comfort on the swing arm itself. I can have the sprocket studs machined down but then I will have a heck of a time getting them tight in the carrier and I will have to switch to non-locking nuts with plenty of lock-tite. Or I could weld the nuts onto the cut down studs and use them like bolts but I'm afraid of messing up the heat treating of the studs. I thought maybe I could use class 10.9 or 12.9 metric bolts in place of the studs but the threads are 12mm by 1.50 pitch which are proving hard to find as 1.75 pitch seems to be the standard. Anyone know of a supplier of 1.50 pitch 12mm hardware? I tried McMaster-Carr and they only carry 1.75 pitch stuff. Anyone know of a good source for this stuff? My other thought is to have the carrier reworked with thread inserts to convert it to 1.75 so I can use the easy to find stuff. Any thoughts on if the inserts would hold up?

Thanks for your help!

Jim

studs

Can you grind the studs down and use a thinner nut with lock plates like the early hondas and others, grinding will not up set the hardness as long as you cool them in water or oil just don't get them red hot, and the load is mostly on the stud and not the nuts, the sprocket bolts on my triumph only clear the brake arm by .020 and have not been a problem

Comment

If there enough material I would rethread it to 1.75 pitch Maybe even go to 1.25 pitch fine thread would be better

Comment

Well my friend, check out www.boltdepot.com. The hardest grade they have in 12mm 1.5 thread is 8.8. Anything harder and you will be looking at 1.25 thread. The cool thing about boltdepot is that they have a very low minimum order requirement.

Also check Roush Hardware, if you guys have them (I think it's more of a mid-western chain though). Roush usually carries just about any size bolt, even metric.

Good luck.

Chad
        Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

Comment

Working...
        X