I can't find these. Am I "screwed"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't find these. Am I "screwed"?

I was looking today at 3 hardware shops and one auto parts place. I can't seem to find these screws anywhere. I need 2 6mm x 65mm, 2 6mm x 40mm, and one 6mm x 50mm. Where in the world can I find these? They had some hex heads, but more than one of these is recessed and those won't work. The screw bodies are ok, but the heads are either stripped or forceabley headed to take a larger non-philips head driver.

You didn't tell us what these fit, but if they're original equipment m/c parts you should be able to order them from the dealer for about 10x reasonable price. If not, try the yellow pages for "fasteners" or "industrial fasteners". I've always been able to match whatever I needed in that fashion if it couldn't be found elsewhere. Don't despair, you shouldn't have to scrap your bike - a machine shop can turn ANYTHING you can afford, if all else fails.

Comment

Try McMaster-Carr,

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Kevan

Comment

Just a little thought. I have a lot of those, no big ones tho. Allen heads I think would be the way to go. IMHO Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

Whoops....

Sorry...... This is for my 80 450 e. They hold the cover over the front sprocket.
          Been a bummer of a weekend. Bikes sitting on centerstand without her back rubber. Waiting on a rear sprocket. Sheese you'd think shops would have those for 20 year old bike just laying around everywhere. Guess next time I'll be planinng ahead.

Try McMaster-Carr,

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Kevan
          Nice site btw. Tho I think I'll try to find something here in town. Shouldn't be too hard here in Houston. I'll call around tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Maybe I'm thinking too simple, but why not buy 6mm x 70mm allen head bolts, and just cut them to the right length?
            I've done this for years. Just bought some boxes of 10, 8, 6 and 5mm allen head bolts, 70mm long, and whenever I need a bolt, I always have one in store.

Comment

Working...
            X