Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new electrical gremlin - ignition problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new electrical gremlin - ignition problem?

New bugs have just popped up in my 78 GS1000's electrical system. About three weeks ago I posted about a problem I was having with my turn signals and headlight/taillight not working. As it turns out the lights were fine but the on/off switch just needed a little help. The turn signals however still don't work. I believe someone suggested my ignition switch might be the culprit.

Fast forward to 7am this morning. I went out to the garage, started the bike up, put on my gear, decided to turn it off while I backed out into the driveway. Got on the bike, turned the key, and just as I touched the starter button the lights and dash flickered. I touched the starter button again, everything flickered then went out. No power. I fiddled with the key, tapped the ignition and the right control a few times, still nothing. After much swearing and frustration I decided to leave it for a few hours and look at things again when I wasn't so damn annoyed. Maybe some pixie dust would have settled on it while I was out getting coffee and magically fixed things.

Anyway I just went out to the garage, turned the key and whaddya know? Power again. Unfortunately when I press the starter button everything flickers, there's a noise like a tick/tap/whatever from under the seat (presumably from the Dyna ignition module), and that's it. FWIW it's not that clicking sound you get when trying to start with a dead battery. After doing this a few times I'm back to no juice when I turn the key.

I have a multimeter but honestly I'm not sure where/how to start tracking this problem down. My immediate thought was that the ignition switch is bad. Based on the symptoms does it sound like the diagnosis is that simple? My apologies if I'm asking a ridiculously broad question without an easy to type answer.

Maybe the title of this thread should have been "am I troubleshooting this the right way?" Assuming the correct method is setting the multimeter to ohms, and that touching both probes to a connection should give a reading of 0.

The plug at the end of the ignition switch: red/orange is 0, grey/brown is 0
    The plug from the wiring harness to the ignition switch: red/orange is infinity, grey/brown is 0. This plug has some greenish crap that I assume is corrosion and it looks a little warped.

The wires coming from the Dyna module give a reading of infinity.
    The connection from the witing harness to the Dyna module reads 0.

My interpretation of this is that the ignition switch is good. The connector from the harness to the ignition switch needs to be replaced and the Dyna module is bad. Do I have it right or am I *totally* off base?

Comment

It could be that a lot of the current needed to start is being earthed. I personally would check that your wiring is in good shape and not shorting anywhere.

Comment

First thing to check is the battery connections!!!!

Comment

heh, yeah the battery was one of the first things I checked. But wouldn't you just know it, yesterday I turned the key and everything worked just like it should. I fiddled with the starter button, turned the bars, rocked the bike back and forth, and couldn't reproduce the problem no matter how hard I tried. Looks like this weekend I'll start going through the wiring with a fine toothed comb looking for anything that's not as it should be. Thanks for the help!

Comment

Another thought Check the big connector plug under the tank!

Comment

Working...
            X