Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grinding sound coming from the stator ass'y.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding sound coming from the stator ass'y.

Hi there!
    I've noticed this sound coming from the stator (left side). It's kinda like a grinding sound, but it's not very heavy, however when it is making the sound, I CAN feel it lightly by putting my hand on the stator cover.

I noticed a few things.
    The sound GOES AWAY in at least 2 conditions:
    1) when HIGH BEAMS are ON
    2) when signals are set to flash, and the bulb is ON (low OR high beam).

If the bike is just in gear, or neutral, no signals or hi beam lights, then the sound and vibration comes back.

There has been no resulting mechanical issues with the bike at all.

One main thing though, is that the engine was swapped out last summer, from a friend who actually had his bike as bike of the month here last year.
    The Regulator Rectifier was non-stock, I am not 100% sure what model bike it was from though...

Has anybody perhaps got an IDEA what might be causing this noise / vibration is coming from?

again, no real mechanical issues at this point, just curious... as it doesn't sound that great...

Thanks!

Dave

The logical thing to do is remove the stator cover Make sure the rotor has not come loose, or magnet has not come off. Check the stator mounting bolts also

Comment

Hello Dave,

Past year I had the same problem in my GS 650.
      When I took out the stator cover, I found that the 3 bolts that tight the stator were 2 turns screwed out.
      So I retightened them and problem solved.

Good luck!!

Eliseo.

P.S.: take a look to the stator outside, because maybe has rubs against the magnets.

Comment

Ya I was wondering how it could be rubbing more when I am using more current though... but heck i'll have to check it i guess... there goes another $15 for the freakin gasket Doh!

Comment

Originally posted by rongant
          Ya I was wondering how it could be rubbing more when I am using more current though... but heck i'll have to check it i guess...
          there goes another $15 for the freakin gasket Doh!
          Because when you need more electrical power, the generator starts to generate more electricity conecting the third fase when you switch the lights on.
          That generates a grater magnetic forces.
          A good maker gasket (3M) will help you if you old gasket is in good shape.[/quote]

Comment

Working...
          X