used valve stem guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

used valve stem guides

What do ya'll think. I have a newer head that I was changing valves on and some how managed to break (2) valve guides, dunno... Anyways, I was thinking of pulling the old head and having the (2) guides needed removed from that head and pressed into the newer head. Any thoughts?

P.S. I am working on a 1980 GS550 E motor.

I'd figure that as long as you manage to remove them without braking them... you should be alright...

Of course you'd want to measure the diameter of the guides and the respective valvestems to see if they're going to seal up tight enough.

Comment

Anyone else?

Comment

You'll probably get away with it just fine as long as the donor engine doesn't have a gazillion hard miles on it and you don't break the valve guides on the way out or in.

I've reused parts I shouldn't have many times when I had more time than money. Not that I have any more money or time these days, but you get the idea.

How did you break the old ones, anyway?
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

if the valve stems are loose in the 'different' guides, you can have the guides gnurled to tighten the tolerance some

Comment

Working...
          X