Fuse box overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuse box overheating

Here's one for you folks. I was on a long ride with the previous owner of my GS1100E (1980), hi taylor. He had warned me that the fuse box heats up and will actually melt the solder in the fuses, well it did it, luckly I carry extra fuses. Any ideas on why, how, and what to do about it.
    Chuck

Most likely, some high resistance couplings. [dirty connections] Probally have to do the old, clean, solder and seal a lot of connections.

Comment

Re: Fuse box overheating

Remove the fuse box from the bike. On the back of the fuse box housing, usually you will see a seam line and at one end, there is a small indention.
      Place a small flat blade screwdriver and pop the back off. The internal wiring connections will be visable. You will probably find the connections covered in corrosion.

Earl

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
      Here's one for you folks. I was on a long ride with the previous owner of my GS1100E (1980), hi taylor. He had warned me that the fuse box heats up and will actually melt the solder in the fuses, well it did it, luckly I carry extra fuses. Any ideas on why, how, and what to do about it.
      Chuck
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Thanks, I'll do this very soon! In fact I'm going to construct a new fuse box if I can find the matterials.
        Chuck

Comment

Fuse box materials

Thanks, I'll do this very soon! In fact I'm going to construct a new fuse box if I can find the matterials.
          Chuck
          I have a the materials needed to assemble a GS1100GK fuse box in my basement. Just needs the screw inserted through the cover & tightened.

David

Comment

I tore it apart this morning the box is FINE! But, I figured out what is wrong. The regulator is too close to the box. It is an aftermarket that is to big for the space and it is very 5mm from the fuse box. So I moved as for as I could from the box about 10mm and I'm going to go looking for a heat insulator to put between them. Any ideas on what would be good.

Comment

Chuck, if you R/R is getting hot enough to melt the solder on the connections in your fuse box, you have a problem. Have you checked the charging voltage at 5k rpm lately?

Earl

I tore it apart this morning the box is FINE! But, I figured out what is wrong. The regulator is too close to the box. It is an aftermarket that is to big for the space and it is very 5mm from the fuse box. So I moved as for as I could from the box about 10mm and I'm going to go looking for a heat insulator to put between them. Any ideas on what would be good.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

When I bought that bike the owner told me he had a new stator and R/R installed. I never had a charging problem. I think it is a connection prob somewhere creating too much resistence.

Comment

Earl It is fine.

Comment

Originally posted by gstaylor
                    When I bought that bike the owner told me he had a new stator and R/R installed. I never had a charging problem. I think it is a connection prob somewhere creating too much resistence.
                    If it was the resistance then the amps would go up and blow the fuse. All they experts here at the school are stumped over this one. I'm going to move the R/R and watch it. It is definetly a new stator and R/R. The R/R doesn't fit in the original footprint for it.

Comment

If your R/R is that hot, it is not going to be fine very long. The R/R on neither of my bikes ever gets too hot to hold my hand on indefinitely.

Earl

Earl It is fine.

Comment

I would think if it got hot enough to melt the fuse solder it itself would meet it's own doom, like all it's connections unsoldering first.

Comment

Originally posted by gstaylor
                          I would think if it got hot enough to melt the fuse solder it itself would meet it's own doom, like all it's connections unsoldering first.
                          I've come to that conclution myself, new fuse block is in order

Comment

Working...
                          X