Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanic said I need a new valve job....HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanic said I need a new valve job....HELP!!

Hey guys...need your expertise...here is the situation:

(1980 GS1100E)

1. #2 & #3 cyclindars have very low compression (77 and 95, respectively).

2. The rings are in perfect condition

3. A reputable mechanic has said that this is an issue with my valves leaking...and would need a new valve job at the local machine shop.

Does this past the sanity check with you guys? Could this cause bad compression?

Rudi

Rudi, what were the "dry" numbers and the "wet" numbers? If he didn't do a wet compression check then get another mechanic....

BTW, How's the rugrat and the lovely wife? Hope everything finds you well.

Comment

Originally posted by HiSPL
      Rudi, what were the "dry" numbers and the "wet" numbers? If he didn't do a wet compression check then get another mechanic....

I'm not sure if he did a wet compression check...does that mean when the bike is hot?

The wife and daughter are doing great! :-) Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudedog_USAF

I'm not sure if he did a wet compression check...does that mean when the bike is hot?

First check your valve clearances. Then add a little oil in the suspect cylinders and see if the compression increases...if it DOES NOT increase significantly, then the valves are causing the low compression

Hap.

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call
          Originally posted by Rudedog_USAF

First check your valve clearances. Then add a little oil in the suspect cylinders and see if the compression increases...if it DOES NOT increase significantly, then the valves are causing the low compression

Hap.
          Wow...so there is such a thing as a "valve leaking"...and if it does that...it can throw the compression off big-time?

Well, I didn't have any reason to NOT believe the mechanic...just wanted to make sure. I'm taking the valves in today to be machined...

Rudi

Comment

The dry check is just a normal plug-in-the-guage-and-go type. If you get some low numbers doing it that way, then you should squirt some oil into each cylinder and check it again (this is a wet check). If your numbers go up significantly then its your rings, If they stay about the same then its your valves. Sometimes all it needs is a valve adjustment, but we did that the first time Hap and I came over. Have you ridden it much since then? If not then your valves should be properly adjusted. You might be in for a valve job if the wet numbers are still low. Call the guy and get the wet numbers for us. If he balks then go pick up your bike. It would be real easy to charge someone for a valve job when they only needed new rings and a hone job. I have heard of this happening before. I'm not trying to scare you, because this guy may be legit, but I don't want to see you get ripped off either, my friend.

Comment

Hap beat me to it 8)

Comment

The dry check is just a normal plug-in-the-guage-and-go type. If you get some low numbers doing it that way, then you should squirt some oil into each cylinder and check it again (this is a wet check). If your numbers go up significantly then its your rings, If they stay about the same then its your valves. Sometimes all it needs is a valve adjustment, but we did that the first time Hap and I came over. Have you ridden it much since then? If not then your valves should be properly adjusted. You might be in for a valve job if the wet numbers are still low. Call the guy and get the wet numbers for us. If he balks then go pick up your bike. It would be real easy to charge someone for a valve job when they only needed new rings and a hone job. I have heard of this happening before. I'm not trying to scare you, because this guy may be legit, but I don't want to see you get ripped off either, my friend.
                He did a wet compression and the readings were still low. And yes...Hap, you, and I DID properly adjust the valve settings...and NO...I haven't put very many miles on it since then (maybe 30 miles total). So it's looking like the valve job is badly needed. I'm bringing it in today to the machine shop. What sucks is tomorrow my uncle and I are scheduled to go on a weeklong bike trip to Colorado. Needless to say, we're burning the midnight oil on this one...

When it rains it pours!!! Friggin' 20+ year old bike! LOL

Rudi

Comment

Half the joy of owning one is bringing it back from the dead.

Good luck Rudi, I hope you make your trip.....

Comment

Working...
                  X