Electrical- Turn key, nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electrical- Turn key, nothing

I have a 78 GS750 that "died" tonight. I rode to work today and everything was fine. After work I went out and turned my key, nothing. No lights, no neutral indicator, nothing at all. After a couple tries I managed to jump starting it by popping the clutch while rolling. In my rush to fix it quickly without further diagnoses (had friends waiting to ride), I went out and bought a new battery. Turns out that wasn't the cause, even with a new battery I get absolutely nothing for power of any type when I turn the key on. If I jump start the bike (popping clutch method) it runs fine and everything is great, until I shut it off. Unfortunately I don't have a kick start lever (was gone when I bought it), so I have to run with the bike to get it started. Any suggestions on what it could be?

Thanks,
    Tim

Well, for a starter did you charge that new battery or did you just add the electrolyte (acid) and wire it up and ride? You must charge a new battery fully. Did you check the fuses, the master fuse in particular? Try these then come back for more, if needed. Then you'll need to check frame grounds and more fun stuff.

Comment

Electricical circuits work in a loop. Check that the red cable from the battery to starter relay is in place. Also check that the battery has a black cable going to the engine or frame.

Vandals have been known to do such things as maliciously messing with electrical systems. Are you missing any body pieces such that your electrical works are exposed?

Michael

Comment

turn key, nothing

First off, sorry this post is long, it's hard to give all the details but keep it short....
        Yes, when I purchased the battery I charged it. As far as fuses go, as best I can tell, there is only 1 fuse on the bike. I've searched all over and found no others and the wiring diagram in my Clymer manual does not indicate any others. The fuse looks good, but I'll replace it tomorrow just to be safe.

Everything looks to be intact with the wiring, and the side covers are both in place on the bike. Matter of fact, it was parked in an area that I'd doubt anyone would mess with the bike. (back parking lot at work, only people around normally are the co-workers who smoke).

As I was scratching my head, wondering what gives, I recalled something that could be pertinent. My turn signal switch wasn't working probably when you try to switch it to the left. 2 days ago I carefully opened the switch to try and resolve it. The problem was corrosion, with some cleaning and working the switch, I freed it up. Then I reassembled it, but the screw hole holding the metal plate over that switch it slightly stripped. Therefore it allows the lever to rise up and miss the switch occaisionally. The last time I used the blinker previous to the problems today, it was the left one and it blinked a couple times then went solid. I assumed it was the play in the levers fault and ignored it. I then parked the bike and went into work. Does this trigger any clues for anyone?

Thanks,
        Tim

Comment

Your flasher unit ("condensor", I believe) could have a short circuit. You could try dosconnecting it, charge and check the battery and try again.

Michael

Comment

Hey, you and I have the same year and model GS, maybe we can learn from each others' electrical problems!

Comment

lets try a simple suggestion and check your fuses

Comment

Matches,

Recently, I have the 100% same problem on my GSX1100EX like yours.
                But it is not the fuse or the battery. It is because some wiring get loss.
                When it happen, I was so luck that I just arrive at the bike shop.
                The boss easily indicated that the problem is some wiring loss& broken between the key switch and inside the head lamp.
                He open the head lamp, find the 4 wire connector, follow the wiring, found the broken part. Reconnect it and solder it.
                Then, no problem at all.
                Let?s try, is it same as mind.

Addy

Comment

I quickly checked inside the headlight housing this morning before leaving for work. I didn't see any obvious problems. Tonight, when I get home, I'll throroughly check all the wire and connectors. I'm also wondering if it's the ignition switch where the key goes in. Maybe it's time to replace it. I believe the one in there is the original, so it wouldn't surprise me if it needs replacement.

Comment

Hey Tim,

If you want you can come over tonight, and I'll help you figure it out. I have a bunch of the electrical components for your bike too, so if you need something I probably have it.

Comment

FIXED

First off, thanks Luke for the offer to help. Luckily I didn't end up needing to bring it over.

I tested the main fuse and it appeared to be fine. Since I never trust fuses, I bought a new one anyways on my way home tonight. I'm glad I did, cause the old one that appeared fine and tested fine, was the problem. With the new fuse everything is working properly.

Thanks everyone for your help. Sorry I bothered you all when it was just a fuse!

Comment

Stealth fuses. Never trust em by the looks.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                        X